slow-but-enthusiastic

Sunday, May 13, 2007

so ridiculous its almost heartbreaking

still in Perth but heading home today - it was my grandmothers 80th last night which was the cause for celebration and homecoming. Just beforehand though I was in the hotel room that my aunt and two cousins (2yrs and 6 weeks) were staying and I was trying to get the baby to sleep.

With baby in my arms I managed to stub my toe (middle right foot) on a chair leg. Now these are hard sharp metal chairs... it hurt and all I wanted to do was swear and jump around. I couldn't jump because of the baby but I did swear loudly. But I thought it was alright and was over it in 10 seconds. Then I sat down for a while and eventually looked down and saw the blood pooling under the toe nail. Eeeeek!!!

So it turns out that I have lifted 2/3 of the nail off the nail bed. It hurts more with a bandaid on and is actually ok so long as I am barefoot. However, running shoes are not an option. Today anyway. I am hoping for miracle cure before tomorrow and definitely before Sunday - BIG RACE!!!!

Any toenail tips greatly appreciated :)

11 Comments:

At 1:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No toenail advice, but don't worry, you're not the only one who had badly timed health issues. I've got a bad case of the flu 1 week out from the Great Ocean Road Half Marathon.

 
At 3:11 pm, Blogger Rachel said...

Youch!! No idea what to do, sorry. I think I'd be trying to run barefoot around an oval if I could until I could bare to wear shoes. I hope its better by Sunday!

 
At 3:59 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

owww,sorry, no advice here either. I hope it feels ok to run on though

 
At 7:13 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Ummm, see a doctor.

At least it's not the big toe, so you should be fine on Sunday, even if it's still bandaged.

Have tomorrow off and try a run Tuesday or Wednesday.

 
At 7:44 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

No advice ... but I can offer sympathy if that helps.

Sounds so painful :-(

 
At 11:11 pm, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

See a sympathetic Doctor. Our eldest had his toe trodden on during a preliminary final, meaning that he had a whacking great big blood blister under a toenail, and one week until the Grand Final (imagine kicking a footy with a toe like yours! Ouch!).

Anyhow, the doc took the toenail off (under local anaesthetic of course) and he was fine for the footy (though from memory, they lost, but that's another story... :-) )

Hope you get it sorted.

Gnome

 
At 3:45 am, Blogger Kate said...

owieowieowie!!!

 
At 10:39 am, Blogger Gronk said...

I've had to deal with lots of manky toes since Canberra. Alway best to pop any blister under the nail and cut back anything sticking out. Just be careful with infections after you've popped it (diluted detol etc) and give it plenty of air to dry out.

 
At 1:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never met anyone before who is as accident prone as me! Really hoping it gets better for next weekend

 
At 1:59 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Bugger!

 
At 7:25 pm, Blogger Dave said...

Amputate the offending toe, that way the toenail won't hurt anymore :)

A week should be ample for it to reduce the swelling/inflammation, from my experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home