slow-but-enthusiastic

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

sunshine on a rainy day

it was pouring when I went to sleep and pouring when I got up this morning - but for some reason the idea of staying in bed didn't really compute. this is a good thing!

My program this morning had me down for 3 x 1k loops. I was looking forward to it as 1k is that nice point where it is long, but not so long that you want to die but realise you aren't even half way yet.

But the rain (grumble grumble) put paid to that plan as the ground on the usual 1k loop was too boggy. So instead we had to run around the paved inside loop of the Park. Now there were plenty of flooded sections, but it was probably better. The fast people did the whole loop (3.7k) and the rest of us did an abridged version that was 2.5k. We had to do it twice with a good length recovery in between (about 6 and a half minutes it ended up being).

So after I moved past my indignation at having another 2k added willy nilly to the program (ok not so much indignation as shock and fear...) I stepped up to the plate. So to speak.

And my first lap was a blinder! Sean had said to go hard first off because we had a really good recovery. I did the 2.5k in 12.25 which was 4.55 pace. That is PB pace for sure! (not that I have a 2.5k pb - but I sure do now!). Gave me some hope also that I might be in 5k PB shape on the weekend. But I shouldn't get ahead of myself because lap 2 was somewhat less stellar, namely 13.07 and 5.10 pace. Still nothing to sniff at I think.

I was pretty shattered after the first lap, and I lost the mental edge for the second one. In the first lap I stuck onto a couple of the fast girls for a good bit of it, but the second lap I didn't/couldn't.

All up 7.3k and extra brownie points for running in the rain. 3 and a half stars Margaret.

9 Comments:

At 9:42 am, Blogger Bayin said...

Well done I heard the rain this morning and rolled over and went back to sleep. I feel bad about it now but I did enjoy my sleep in.

Cya on Saturday

 
At 11:48 am, Blogger Roses said...

Ellie,
you were on fire this morning! It's great to see you running so strongly. Welcome Back.

 
At 12:25 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Wow, that's great! I'd give you 4 stars for that:) I'd go for PB on Saturday.. whatch got to lose!

 
At 2:28 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Good on ya for venturing out Ellie.

I think even the loungiest of lounge lizards would go out and run in the rain up here if it would rain!

 
At 2:46 pm, Blogger miners said...

nice reps - and good to see the confirmation from your fellow sweaters

hey what's with all this talk of rain down there? Gorgeous day in paradise up here and a pubic hol to come - so keep your rain to yourself - thanking you muchly

 
At 4:38 pm, Blogger Becky O said...

All that alltitude training seems to be kicking in now. I think you should definitely go for a crack at a PB on Saturday, like Lulu said you've got nothing to loose and I reckon you'll do it !!

 
At 12:25 am, Blogger 2P said...

Sunshine on a rainy day (sunshine)
Makes my soul, makes my soul drip, drip, drip away
Make it feel, make it feel
So Unreal (so unreal)
Like a wind in the desert
Like a moon on the sea, yeah!
Sunshine on a rainy day (sunshine)

Nice work Ellie ;-)

 
At 12:43 am, Blogger Superflake said...

Thats an excellent session. Good luck with the crack at the 5k PB on Saturday.

 
At 8:36 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

That's good Ellie. Sounds like Sean has you in PB shape. Good luck on Saturday. Get the pacing right and finish strong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home