slow-but-enthusiastic

Sunday, April 15, 2007

BRW triathlon

I have had a bit of a patchy lead up to this one. The running training was perhaps a little too much and the cycling and swimming practically non existent. But its just a short one so I wasn't too fussed.

Started on a bit of an anxious note. You all know I am not the most confident rider so I was planning to walk the bike to transition. The problem was meeting all my teammates in the work car park and we very nearly missed the bike check in. Now I have a bit of a problem in the punctuality department (ie - I am tooo punctual) and would have preferred to get there about half an hour earlier - but had to go with the team as they had all my numbers and stuff. Once bike was checked in the anxiety subsided - especially cause we had 1hr55 from the first wave until it was our turn!! Luckily they firm had a little marquee so we hung out there and eventually we jumped in the water.

Now I was a bit suss about swimming in the harbour and was visualising oil spills and turds, but actually it was ok. The temperature was fine too! It was a slow swim but I just plugged along and was pleased to beat some people, although I was a bit dismayed by how close some of the breastrokers were... As I was running up to the transition area I heard a shout and realised I had a little cheer squad of Owly, Caro and Sparkie - aw - made my day - especially seeing them along the ride and run course.

Speaking of the ride, I was pretty nervy - lots of people, a really really tight corner - but all went well. It was pretty confusing and there was no way I could really get up any pace on most of it. I am fairly sure it wasn't 8k! Lets just say it went realllll quick. The run was great. I always love getting off the bike (hmmm does this say something) and although my legs were tired I felt pretty good and started picking people off. My favourite overtake was on the last hill up to the finishing chute and my mind went 'i'll be damned if I'm not going to get some benefit out of the gazillion hills I ran last week' and cruised past a couple of guys who were in front of me. Noice.

I am not sure of my time but the clock said 2.38.17. Now by my calculations, if I left at 1.55, that makes my time 43.17. However I am sure it must be more than that. Either way I am happy cause my goal was under the hour!

I am feeling remarkably unscathed by the training camp so I guess that means I'm back into it! yay!

EDIT: times through:

Person 3
Swim Time 0:08:37
Bike Time 0:20:45
Run Time 0:14:05

Anyone reckon the run was more like 2k than 4k?????

5 Comments:

At 8:15 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Congratulations Ellie. Excellent effort without much swim and bike training.

 
At 12:12 pm, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Great race report. I reckon thought thought of swimming amonst the turds would have me going a lot faster.

 
At 11:18 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Love ya work babe ;-)

Now look after yourself. You've done a stack of training over the last few weeks. A bit of recovery time might be in order. And don't think that just because I'm not in the country doesn't mean that you can train behind my back. I have spys ya know ;-)

 
At 8:23 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Good one tri-girl. Glad you didn't find any nasties in the harbour. :)

 
At 8:37 am, Blogger Mandy said...

Tris?? Already??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home