slow-but-enthusiastic

Sunday, April 22, 2007

long run sunday

it has been over 3 and a half months since I did my last 2 hour long run, but if ever there was a time to get back into it, it is now! I was a bit wary because I wasn't sure how I'd feel and my knee is still giving me some grief. I even had a dream about my knee hurting and deciding not to train. Now do you see how resistant my subconscious is??? :)

I wanted to stick close to Centennial Park in case it played up so I was close to home, also cause there are lots of water fountains there.

I ended up feeling ok and doing my 2 hours. I tried to keep up a reasonable pace (for me!) and finished in 2hrs with 18.5x km and average pace of 6.29. I took quite a few breaks to stretch everything out and drink, but I'm still happy with that pace.

Until the last 5 minutes I also felt reasonably fresh which is great. The problem is that I finished running and started to walk home and I felt like I hit a brick wall. I suspect it was lack of water and lack of breakfast and lack of sports drink or anything. I started to feel like I did after the central coast half, nauseous and dizzy and shivery. horrid. Got some water in when I got home and just lay down for a few minutes. I have managed to eat some toast now and I feel heaps better already. Guess its just a blood sugar thing. I suppose it could be a delayed toxin release from Friday night too. Next time I will go back to the fuel belt/camelbak option and take some powerade (well - actually orange flavour High5 these days because I won a tin of it at the last tri I did!).

anyway - must be shower time. then maybe a nap

5 Comments:

At 11:58 am, Blogger Ewen said...

That's good Ellie. 6:29/km is fine for a first back long run. Glad the knee survived. Enjoy the nap.

 
At 3:51 pm, Blogger Rachel said...

Nice long run. Sounds like you didn't stop at enough water fountains though!

 
At 4:10 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Wooooohooooo that is fantastic Ellie - good to see you getting back into the longuns - great work mate :)

 
At 5:15 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

That's a great pace for your long run. Hope you are recovered OK now. Maybe you need to eat something before you do your long runs, although I thought you did usually?

 
At 2:20 pm, Blogger Simlin said...

Did my first long run in over a month yesterday too. Must have been the day to get back into it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home