slow-but-enthusiastic

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

ummm...

back at Sweat this morning and had no idea what to expect. Would I be slower because of the unprecedented miles in the legs, or would I discover new found strength and fitness to propel me effortlessly around the lake?

Becky O seemed to be of the latter persuasion - she was on fire! Go girl!

As it turned out, I was somewhere in the middle.

I had been programmed 2 laps, long recovery, the 1 lap. After the first set Sean bumped the second set up to 2 laps too. grumble grumble... but actually i didn't really mind!

My first 2 laps of the lake started really well. I felt light and my legs felt strong, and I noticed that I was sitting on 4.56 pace. So then I slowed down. Good job too! I ended up doing the 2 laps in 14.52 which was an average pace of 5.14. Not too bad given that we were supposed to be targeting our 10k race pace. Mine is something over 5.30...

I did slow down considerably in the second set of 2 laps - mostly cause I wanted to survive! I was sitting on around 5.26 pace for the first lap and then decided to pick it up a bit. I saw ewen running his cool down lap (!) and decided that he was my target. This was good as he remained just tantalisingly out of reach for most of the lap. But then my super mate Horrie ran by and turned around to push me all the way home. I needed it! Thanks Horrie! So we caught Ewen and then ended up crossing in 15.15 for avg pace of 5.22.

So no super new speed but I am pretty happy with that. I should have a look at what times I've done before - but I probably won't.

All up around 8k.

EDIT - Lunch time strength session.

A new addition to the program. Tues and Thurs lunch strength training. Maybe once on the weekend too if I feel like it. A bit hotch potch at this stage but includes: push ups, tricep dips, lunges, squats, hamstring curls, one leg side step ups, and one leg dip/squat things, regular bridge hold, bridge hold raising each leg, backwards bridge hold, backwards bridge hold with one leg up in the air, funny ab crunch things that i can't describe, leg raises (a few sorts), superman back exercises, and medicine ball oblique crunches where you keep your feet of the ground and twist the ball from side to side (sean called them 'gutbusters' - i like it!).

5 mins on the cross trainer to warm up and afterwards a bit of a stretch. noice.

5 Comments:

At 10:03 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Sounds pretty speedy to me. Give it a week or so and the training you did at camp will really start to show through.

 
At 4:56 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Wow you have been busy while I've been away - great stuff Ellie - well done mate ;-)

 
At 8:28 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Ellie, the only you got tired reading about my run is because of all the crazy training you have been doing lately! I don't know where you get the energy. If you ever want to tell me feel free to do so.

 
At 8:37 pm, Blogger R2B said...

Hey Ellie!
Yep those k's will shine through and you will be breaking pb's in no time!]

 
At 8:31 am, Blogger Horrie said...

You were moving well over the last half of the last lap when I hooked up with you. You are on your way back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home