slow-but-enthusiastic

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sub 2 hour goal lives to see another half marathon...

ok - no sub 2 hour today - but I have never been this happy to get a personal worst!!

My time was 2.06.xx - definitely no land speed record - but I have to say that I am pretty happy. It is a very solid long run and I think I have only run for 2 hours about twice this year so it was also a good lesson in 'why long runs are important if you want to run half or full marathons'. Lesson learned :)

I started out too slow today which is a new place for me to be!! I never felt like I got in a rhythm either. I started right at the back. It took 4 1/2 mins to get across the starting mats which is fine in terms of time but worked out badly because the crowd was a little slower than I wanted to be and it was only after a couple of k of cruising that I realised this and made an effort to speed up. By that time I was well down on my goal splits and no matter how hard I pushed (and it felt like I was pushing hard!!!!) I kept slipping back on those splits.

But i still took a lot out of the run. I can run a half marathon! Just as there is too fast there is also too slow. Make sure I think about how I am going to anchor the gels I am carrying before I leave the house. I think with the longer runs I run better with no music... (doh!!). I have lots of lovely friends such as Sam who ran up the footpath on hunter st on my second lap just to keep me company despite a near stress fracture, and Lulu and WTR who ferried me to and from the venue and ensured I was fed and watered :)

I also got to meet some other people who will be running in New York with me - and I proudly ran in my new Heart Foundation top!

shameless plug below :)

heartchallengesny.kintera.org/ellieboyd

13 Comments:

At 3:34 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Well done gorgeous. I'm so glad to read that although it wasn't the time you were after that you took alot out of it. Me waters will be right next time ;-)

 
At 6:03 pm, Blogger running uphill said...

Well done anyway Ellie. That's still a pretty respectable time.

 
At 6:56 pm, Blogger miners said...

ah ... it was clearly a result of your song selection. Should have definitely put the Prodigy and rammstein up in the first half hour ;)

(love your perth photos!)

 
At 8:25 pm, Blogger Zodelicious said...

You have a great attitude Ellie. And think how sweet it will be when you do break 2 hours.
Congratulations on New York! I will look forward to reading all about your preparation.

 
At 7:29 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Well done in getting through it in once piece Ellie. It's not a PB course and to run a strong race is all you should expect and that's what you did. Bigger and better things are on the horizon for sure. :)

 
At 10:01 am, Blogger Becky O said...

Well done Ellie with another half under your belt. Save the PB cracking for GC on the flat.

I'm with you. Last year I ran SMHH with an ipod for the first time and done a PW. I realised I wasnt concentrating on my pace and breathing.

Rest well and see you at training on Tuesday.

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger Hamburglar said...

Bad luck Ellie. You must have used too much energy in the excitement of New York. At least you looked like you were having some fun which is the main thing!

 
At 6:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You still had a great run Ellie and as Gronk said to me - at least now you know you can run a HM pretty much whenever you want to!

Now think how well you can do if you train properly ;-)

Good luck in your training for New York (you mad bugger LOL)

 
At 10:06 pm, Blogger Simlin said...

Great training run for the Marathon, wish you all the best in preperation for it, and great to meet you before and after the race :)

 
At 10:03 am, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Well done on the great effort.

 
At 5:55 pm, Blogger Rachel said...

Nice to meet you on Sunday. Well done on the race. It'll be a PB at GC. I'm sure of it!

 
At 8:45 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Good on you Ellie. Nothing wrong with 2:06 on that course. As you said, getting the pace right from the start isn't easy. With a bit of sweat you can easily turn that into a 1:5X:XX at Gold Coast :)

 
At 9:20 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Good practice for battling the crowds in the Big Apple :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home