slow-but-enthusiastic

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

OK - finally the big exciting news :)





Is that a good hint? (I'm hoping my remedial cutting and pasting of html source has worked here!!)

Yep - the big apple - New York! I am going to New York and in particular I am going to New York in November this year. Not entirely coincidentally that is when the NY marathon is on... and I'm running it!

I have managed to secure a place to run the 2007 New York Marathon as a fundraiser for the Heart Foundation. I am part of a group of people who have each committed to raising $10,000 for the Heart Foundation.

The Heart Foundation is a cause that is close to the hearts of lots of Australians. I didn't know this - but 48,000 Australians die each year of heart disease. This is one of the reasons why 6 years ago I decided to change my lifestyle and a year and a half ago I decided to be a runner. I am so grateful to be healthy and fit and what better way to celebrate this and give something back to an organisation that is doing so much.

And this is where I need your help :)

$10,000 is a lot! You can help by making donations here:
http://heartchallengesny.kintera.org/ellieboyd

In addition I am looking for any fundraising suggestions that anyone has. I would also really appreciate it if you would ask any friends or family or workmates that you think might be willing to help or donate. Any suggestions of companies that you think might be open to sponsoring me would also be great!

One other thing that should help is that R4YL has agreed to my writing a series of 3 articles on the program (through Inspired Adventures), my training progress and a race report. That is pretty cool too I reckon :) - although I shouldn't say anything until it is finalised!

I am moving to a typepad blog once I get it all fancied up - but for now there was no way I could hold off on telling everyone any longer!!!!

I'm so excited I could practically explode!

E

x

18 Comments:

At 8:54 pm, Blogger Rachel said...

That's AWWWWESOME!!!!!
What a great thing to do. It will be fantastic!

 
At 5:25 am, Blogger Kate said...

OHMYGOD!!

That's fanTAStic!!!!

 
At 5:32 am, Blogger Jen said...

You rock! Looking forward to hearing more about it over lunch. And dinner :-)

 
At 7:48 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Yes that is exciting news ! Great stuff Ellie ! :)

 
At 7:52 am, Blogger Superflake said...

Excellent! I love that city and I've only been there once.

 
At 9:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Ellie, well if your going to do the full monty, might as well make it a big one! I've been to NY a few times, you'll love it, a great City to run in.

 
At 12:26 pm, Blogger Simlin said...

Finally, and what news too! that is wicked. And sounds so fantastic...will obviously make a donation to the cause in due course.

 
At 1:18 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

OMG Ellie!!! That is soooo exciting.

New York is my absolute favourite city in the world. Love it, love it, love it.

Do you know anyone else going? One of the PCRG girls is heading over, maybe others in the group too. Not sure.

Ah, I am so jealous!

 
At 2:10 pm, Blogger miners said...

like I said - I reckon the slave auction would be a go-er. You could perform it on-stage ala Seinfeld - but the secret is to go and get changed backstage after each prance around. That way you only need 2 slaves - you just need to spend the next month acting as slave for half the audience

 
At 4:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's amazing news Ellie, well done. Only just read your post or I would have said something this morning!

I've emailed one of my contacts in Optus to see if I can get you some corporate sponsorship - not sure if they will but worth a try. Will keep you posted.

Also if you want some company on those LONG runs let me know.

RA

 
At 4:20 pm, Blogger Bennyr said...

Wow!

That is incredibly exciting Ellie.

Cheers,
Ben

 
At 5:05 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

wow!!! That IS great news!! Good luck with the fundraising - what a great cause

 
At 5:46 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Woooohoooo that is great news Ellie - I must confess when you talked about being bare footed the other day you might be pregnant :-)

 
At 9:54 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

What?! Is that all. An engagement or pregnancy would have been much more exciting ;)

 
At 11:56 pm, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Damn! Ewen beat me to it again!

What an incredible year you have in front of you. Just preparing for your first marathon takes so much time & dedication; doing the whole thing in another country *and* raising such an enormous amount before hand as well is just mind boggling (well, it boggles my mind anyhow. Maybe your's is more capable of handling it... :-) ).

Fantastic.

Gnome

 
At 6:38 am, Blogger running uphill said...

Wow! Great news. I look forward to reading about your adventures (online and in print!)

 
At 9:36 am, Blogger Becky O said...

How exciting Ellie!

I have a lot of fundraising ideas for you. Will be doing the same for myself soon. I'll speak to you soon.

 
At 1:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try not to explode before the marathon mmmk.

Exploding afterwards is fine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home