slow-but-enthusiastic

Monday, March 26, 2007

bondi rescue

i can't go down to bondi anymore without worrying that I will fall over or do something otherwise fairly stupid and end up on some silly tv show as a cautionary tale of 'what not to do'.

but at 5.30 there were no lifeguards or cameras and i think the whole season is over anyway!

i had a lovely morning's exercise actually. the goal was 40 mins on the coastal path between bondi and bronte (not all the way...) and then 2 laps of bondi on the soft sand. Sort of happened. In my 40 mins I only ended up doing 3.5 km because just before tamarama, a lady out walking with her two daughters slipped on some really steep stairs and really twisted her ankle. We got her down and it was already like a tennis ball by the time we looked at it. Luckily another passer by had a phone and another one was a bloke and helped her right up to the top where her husband drove down to get her. Ow!! She actually looked like she might pass out or vomit...
My skills were best utilised in distracting the two little girls. Never nice to see your mum hurt.

Anyway - got back to the beach and hit the soft sand. Cripes its hard!! Just under 2k in just under 15 mins! ish.

So then to round out my hour I did some pushups and various core exercises and some good stretching. Noice. It was a beautiful morning at the beach, and I was reminded that I was in sydney by the 20 bazillion (no exaggeration) other people down there...

10 Comments:

At 10:08 am, Blogger Bennyr said...

I agree Ellie - soft sand running is tough.

Good work on the rescue. I actually might need someone to distract two daughters whilst their mum is in pain really soon (bub due April 24) - do you hire this service out?

Cheers,
Ben

 
At 10:22 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Good one Ellie. Agree on the soft stuff. Hard work that.

 
At 10:26 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Umm, are you jinxing everyone with this twisted ankle thing! Sounds like a hard session though. My ankle is about to be fixed by Gary and no serious damage done!

 
At 12:38 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

The season finishes Anzac Day. But Bondi does have the paid professional lifeguards all year round. Soft sand running is hard work on the ankles.

 
At 2:00 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Nice one Ellie - you're such a good samaritan!

 
At 2:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ow!!! I know how that feels. Hope she recovers a bit quicker than I have.

The run on the beach sounds good, may have to try that myself when I get back out there and my ankle is a bit stronger!

RA

 
At 3:54 pm, Blogger Rachel said...

Nice to get out and do something a bit different especially when its a bit tougher. Love the idea of getting out in the sand, I'm sure its good for the butt!

 
At 4:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soft sand looks like waaaaay too much hard work - lucky for me that ET recommends it is something I DO NOT do ;)

The first time I ventured down to Bondi for a morning run, I couldn't beleive how busy it gets down there before 6am on a weekday! It's pretty surreal but what a way to start the day :)

 
At 5:05 pm, Blogger miners said...

Gronk is the bondi soft sand master, so he should know full well how hard soft sand running is. Do you take your shoes off, or is it too risky down at the Sydney beaches to do that?

Looking forward to seeing the new "do" on the weekend :)

 
At 11:05 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Good stuff Ellie, I'm glad to see there are people who will happily help out someone, and actually have the brains to do the right thing. I'm also a paramedic so its refreshing to hear of a "bystander" who helps out instead of just being a sticky nose.

And yeah, soft sand running, hard on the calves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home