slow-but-enthusiastic

Sunday, March 18, 2007

so close...

i decided today that even though i wasn't doing the tri, i would do all the distances in training.

So I started with 1500m at Cook & Phillip park in the City. No worries - that was fine albeit slow (round 42 mins). after 2 laps I knew I'd made the right decision :)

THen it was home and getting the bike for 40k at the park. Actually I did 11 laps which would be 41 or 42k. So I can categorically do 40k on my bike. It did hurt though - my butt isn't used to it and neither is my back/neck/hands/elbows... Actually it was more eventful than you would think. 2 pedestrians walked out in front of me and decided to stop in the middle of the road. I go around, but not until after the lady had moved back and forwards before deciding to actually get off the road! I'm all for giving way to pedestrians but they should pick someone more skilful in bike handling to stop in front of!!!

Then there was the mountain bike rider who hooned down a hill and looked certain to smash into me, but who turned at the last second and said 'sorry' before he dropped off the back. eek!!! but the (?) highlight was the horse bolting. I heard a noise and it sounded like birds taking off but then I realised that it was a petrified horse absolutely galloping down the path and then straight across the road and out the gate. Luckily it stopped before the external road and even luckier that no one seemed to get hurt. There is a case of someone getting actually killed in Centennial Park in that situation so it was very lucky. Poor horse, I'm not sure what scared it but it was near the cricket pitch so maybe a ball. Everyone moved away pretty darn quick!!!

So all that was left then was 10k run and I was feeling great surprisingly. But then, less than a km in, I stacked it. Massively and embarassingly on the trail around the park that is right on Oxford St so there were plenty of onlookers. Eek! I didn't care though because goddamn it hurt!!!! I went down right knee first, then the left knee and my hands hit at the same time. Only the right knee has lost its skin. I decided to pull up stumps even though I probably could have kept going. I didn't really have anything to prove and although most likely it would have been fine i didn't want to risk aggravating any swelling or anything for no good reason.

So still not a bad day's exercise.

And of course there was no wind at all today!!! Although my friend who did the race said that the surf was pretty big. So I'm happy (albeit disappointed) with my decision.

9 Comments:

At 1:44 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Oh no, near misses on the bike and then you fall over on the run! Hope its stopped hurting :(

 
At 2:16 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

OMG at the horse!!! I would have freaked out!! sorry to hear about your fall, hope you're ok.

 
At 4:17 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Sorry to hear about your fall - get some ice on your knee asap. That's a huge training day - puts my 30mins walk to shame, LOL

 
At 4:45 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Look out for those nags in the park. Don't fall off the bike it hurts too much. Bronte and Maroubra looked a bit rough this morning when I ran past. Good move if you are not keen on roughwater.

 
At 9:17 pm, Blogger Gronk said...

I went A over T up there once. Tripped on a tree root hiding in the leaves. Hope the knee is OK.

 
At 10:52 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

You 'did a CJ'! Where are the photos?

 
At 11:28 am, Blogger Janice said...

Okay, that was quite an adventurous day. After the horse I probably would have called it quits and went home. Some days are just meant to be spent in the safety of one's bed!

 
At 11:47 am, Blogger 2P said...

Make sure you keep the antiseptic up to the knee (I speak with CJ/2P experiences in mind).

Nice work on the swim and ride though I would have expected you to ride up along side the horse grab its halter and slow it down like they did in the old western movies - Ellie Oakley :)

 
At 11:59 am, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Sounds like an eventful morning. Pity about the crash at the end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home