slow-but-enthusiastic

Sunday, January 28, 2007

four days of fun

i have to say that I am pretty happy with how I have trained for the last four days. it hasn't been precisely what I would have liked or should have done but I still did it and i feel good.

Today I hit the trainer again for 60 mins (and even though I have it on the easiest gear I still don't find it easy!!) and then I ran down to the park to meet Lulu who wanted to just do an hour (fine by me!!). I ended up doing 1hr 12 mins and 10.87 k at 6.40 pace. It wasn't pretty in parts but I did it! The company made things easier :)

because I pissed about for about 5-10 mins after getting off the bike I don't think I got the full brick effect and interestingly I found that my legs felt good on the first bit - must be that I am used to starting my runs cold and tired and I was actually warmed up this time! however that didn't last too long and I felt quite sluggish.

We made it though and a nice coffee at the end with S was ace.

Even though I haven't been on the road each time I have still been on the bike for at least three hours in the last 3 days. won't teach me to drink while I ride, but it will get my legs conditioned a bit more!

EDIT - bit of a weekly summary:

Swim: 1 session - 2k - 52ish mins
Ride (this is a conservative estimate given that I have no idea of actual distance): 3 sessions - 70ish km - 3hrs15mins
Run: 4 sessions - 37k - 4hrs40mins

8hrs 47mins training this week! Not bad I reckon :) Still there was a conspicuous shortage of swim sessions. Next week the goal is to do a minimum of 3 swim sessions including at least 1 surf swim plus 3 rides and 3 runs (minimum).

9 Comments:

At 10:56 am, Blogger Ewen said...

It still sounds like a good session to me. Of course, if you had a bike computer (can't believe you don't have one), you'd know how hard you rode before the run ;)

 
At 11:30 am, Blogger TD said...

That looks like a really interesting last few days you had. Actually I'm very impressed that you did another 10k'er after Friday's effort. It doesn't matter that it was ugly or not, you just got out there and did it. Being with Lulu obviously helped. Very nice.

 
At 12:20 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

It was lovely to be out and about with you again. Your training is going great and we'll definitely do something at Manly with you next week and watch you conquer the Cole Classic too.

 
At 12:20 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Must have been all that iron in the baked dinner - you've been flying since then!

You don't really need a separate bike computer - just order the the cadence sensor for the Garmin & you'll be set. In the meantime I've found using the HRM is good - you don't know how far you are going but it ensures that you are working at the same rate/effort throughout the session.

 
At 3:02 pm, Blogger Kate said...

I'm impressed! So much trainer time. I got on this afternoon (admittedly a few hours after my long run this morning) and could barely tolerate 30 mins. I guess once you get in the vein.

 
At 5:43 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Woohoo great weekends training - well done mate ;-)

 
At 1:11 am, Blogger R2B said...

Woohoo!
A great weeks training Ellie!

 
At 11:29 am, Blogger Spark Driver said...

The last four days sounds like an effort we would all be proud of.

 
At 2:17 pm, Blogger miners said...

A solid weekend E - although missing the long ride had me gnashing my teeth for a second or two. I'll send that DVD of Jen's down really soon so she can lend it to you. Watching vids is fine for the trainer - but it WILL get boring if you do. You need to have a structured training set so that you really WILL be crying when you get off it.

btw - the ocean is now toasty and warm again, so get yourself out there ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home