slow-but-enthusiastic

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

sweatin' up a storm

well this morning was my first sweat session in over a week. and MAN did it hurt.

However, obviously my down week has served me well because honestly I even surprised myself. On the program was a 2k loop, 5 mins recovery and then 1k.

Did a warm up of 3.5k and then got into it. Then I decided to give the 2k everything and as sparkie would say - crash or crash through. I thought that something was up when I was still pretty close to Bernie G at the 1k point, and yes, that k was 4.48. (what the???). I figured I was going to crash then and that 2nd k was agony!!! But I did it in 4.55 for 2k in 9.43!! How cool is that????

The next 1k loop was like dragging two lumps of lead around the oval. Still I was pleased to keep it under 5.00 pace - 4.58 to be precise :)

2.2k cool down for 8.7k. I suppose a week off training does make you fresh after all! maybe i should rethink the training plan to incorporate more doing nothing...

11 Comments:

At 9:21 am, Blogger miners said...

my, my you're a busy blogger. Can't keep up with you ;)

Sounds like the stroke correction is working for you now. Although there seemed to be some contradiction between the advice to glide before the catch, but also shorten your stroke?

The ocean swim series would be great practice for you before Cronulla. Get in touch with flake as well - he might be able to give you the low-down on some of the events down there.

Nice run yesterday - I trust the two lumps of lead you dragged around the oval referred to 'below the waist'?

 
At 1:10 pm, Blogger Sparkie said...

I'm sorry I didn't go now, missing out on your epic performance...

 
At 1:11 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Cole Classic would be great to swim. There will be a fairly big surf break that you have to get through off the beach and then when you turn right on the map and head towards shelly beach you have to cross another break. But then the last part in and around shelly beach is flat and really clear to swim in. The trick with surf swims is to go out through the rip where the waves don't break. Its the quickest way out. Big crowd and nice beach.

 
At 2:46 pm, Blogger Gronk said...

Wow, you're really doing well at this swimming caper Ellie. 2km ? OMFG !

 
At 5:07 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Amazing what fresh legs can do - great stuff Ellie.

 
At 7:08 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

That's fantastic. I'll never be able to catch up with you now!

Glad it's all gradually coming together for you. I'm sure the iron infusion will have a big impact.

 
At 8:03 pm, Blogger running uphill said...

Great times Ellie. you might have to reconsider the slow-but-enthusiastic title!

 
At 8:25 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Wow, that's good. Very good times for the 2k and the 1k! You'll have to change your name to fast-and-enthusiastic :)

 
At 8:44 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Doing nothing more often is working for me ;-)

 
At 10:11 pm, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Ellie's discovered tapering... (just don't do it tooooo often :-))

Gnome

 
At 11:21 am, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Well done after having your quiet week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home