slow-but-enthusiastic

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

full disclosure

tempting not to update because i haven't done anything but i told myself a while back that i wouldn't censor because i need you guys to give me a reality check and/or kick my ass if i'm being lazy.

yesterday after work i planned to go for a swim but in the afternoon i felt my energy levels plummeting and it was someones farewell drinks and i felt guilty and went to that instead (didn't drink though - just in case my motivates were being questioned...).

then this morning i had planned to do an hour run - but got up at 5, pottered around and realised i was (once again) exhausted. despite 9 hours sleep. so i went back to bed for 2 more hours and then walked to work.

feeling icky and lazy but some part of me is feeling like to push through at the moment would be silly. the iron levels are still too low and maybe that is part of it - and probably keeping on training so hard is counterproductive.

or maybe i am just buying into the christmas laziness.

ah well. tomorrow... (heard that before...)

10 Comments:

At 12:33 pm, Blogger Jodi said...

Ellie- Don't beat yourself up. Your body is telling you something. It needs a little rest and relaxation. Why don't you try some very low intensity workouts? Run slower than you normally would with no expectations. Don't look at the clock or take splits. Or go swimming without looking at the clock. Let your body heal, but in the meantime keep up your fitness with a little LSD (long slow distance). That's what I'd do!

Jodi

 
At 12:46 pm, Blogger Gronk said...

Thanks for your honesty Ellie. We’ll let you know if a laziness intervention is required. ;-)

Seriously, I always suffer from the post race dumps and no way could I jump straight back into speed sessions etc.

Do what Jodi says I reckon.

 
At 6:44 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I hear you! It's a difficult thing to cope with lethargy. In my experience trying to push through only makes things worse. I still say it's worth getting the thyroid checked out...your symptoms sound eerily like mine, and Lulu's and TigerAngels...you too can join the hypothyroidism club!

 
At 7:46 pm, Blogger Kate said...

Yup- I agree with Jodi too and make the most of this enforced "lazy" time- do the things you don't have time for when you're in the middle of training!

 
At 8:41 pm, Blogger Jen said...

You are still recovering from a tough run on the weekend. Not to mention the problems that you had leading into the event - which still aren't back to 100%.

Don't be hard on yourself - heck, my first exercise since the weekend was a session in the gym at lunch today - and I only ran 9km on the weekend!!!

 
At 9:16 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

You had a great run on Sunday, so you probably used up a fair bit of energy. You should expect a bit of lethargy at the start of the week.
Either that or you have had too many red wines again.

 
At 9:29 pm, Blogger miners said...

I'm sure you remember my solution for the low iron levels ;)

and by the way - a good few days (weeks) rest to get over a pretty big year for one missE is never a bad thing

 
At 9:39 pm, Blogger David Criniti said...

Whenever you need an excuse to avoid swimming, just let me know. I've always got half-a-dozen ready to fire off at a moments' notice!

 
At 9:51 pm, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

E. Don't worry about having a few down days. It happens to me after every big race (I haven't run yet since Sunday - might drag myself out tomorrow). You can start worrying if it's still happening in another week :-)

Gnome

 
At 6:57 am, Blogger Lulu said...

I'm sure the race has taken it out of you so I wouldn't worry. I was absolutely exhausted on Monday and Tuesday too. You'll be fine in another day or too I'm sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home