slow-but-enthusiastic

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Central Coast Half

well - i had no clue how i was going to go today - but, happy days, i managed a new PB!

2.01.38

So close to 2 hours... but that will have to wait for next time.

Headed up to The Entrance on Friday night with Jen and the Owl (thanks for the ride and the company ladies - it was just exactly what I needed... :) Had a fabulous dinner and a few beverages as we weren't going to be running (much the next day). A funny bunch we make hey girls???

Saturday was gorgeous - not the best weather (overcast) but it wasn't raining and for that I was extremely grateful. We ate a bit more (ok a lot more) and spent some time shopping and enjoying the 'Entrance Mardi Gras' - which no - is not at all like the Sydney mardi gras - which is probably lucky as it is The Entrance cinema that refused to show brokeback mountain...

Portrunr was also in the area and came in for the afternoon and we had a great play with the kids. sooo cute! Saturday night was the Coolrunner convention at dinner - pasta/pizza all round and we were all good and carbed up. Go Girl joined me on the fold out sofa bed and we hardly slept due to loud kids slamming doors and being noisy (kids these days....).

Up early this morning after hearing a storm through the night. Of course it was dreary and drizzly. Ah well - the things we do. The line for registration was long and wet and finally we got the race underway. So many coolrunners it was unbelievable. I made a new friend to run with early on although she ditched me to speed off around 14k.

I felt great for the first 10k. This was a huge relief as I had no idea how I was going to feel. I was quietly thanking Iron... took my gel at around 9k which ws the Gu - plain flavour one - a big winner for me as I can't handle the coffee one. There was a lot of puddle jumping but I kept a pretty consistent pace throughout.

I was starting to struggle with about 2k to go when the lovely Miners came to my rescue and ran in with me. I am not sure whether he was running in front of me as a target for me or whether he was just struggling to go slow enough :) either way it was incredibly appreciated - thanks A :)

i was so relieved to cross the line in the time I did - 3 mins faster than the Sydney 1/2 which given my shoddy training of late and health-related-setbacks I was ecstatic with. After we went back and showered though and started heading over to breakfast, the euphoria started to wane and I started to feel really light headed and a bit sick. Had to have a little sit down in the lift. Food improved things but I am still feeling a bit queasy and my legs are aching!!!! Not altogether surprising I guess...

There were so many great runs:

- the Owl's 14 min pb (and that monster smile as she ran up to us screaming for her)
- Jen (who is officially back)
- Lulu who had a rough one but showed again why she is one of the coolest toughest chicks I know
- Nat who was close to her pb
- BCFC who pretended he was around my level but was LYING!!!
- Belinda - again :)
- Kerry - didn't chat but apparently a pb
- Mr Lulu - ridiculously fast - even with a toilet stop
- Kit I heard did a pb
- SF Gnome - pb!!
- caro - on fire as always
- Dario26 (although he could have gone faster....)
- Portrunr who I am sure did great but I didn't even ask his time!!! And gronk, plu, rags, nando, jd, horrie, rob who I also didn't ask! and probably more!!! my brain isn't doing so good :) will update with memory...

and everyone else - I can't even remember and I am sure I forgot to ask everyone!!!

Thanks to everyone for the cheers at the end - it really helped so so so much :)

ok - now there is this triathlon business that i've signed myself up for.... but perhaps a rest day first.

18 Comments:

At 4:32 pm, Blogger Shane said...

That's great Ellie, with your recent set backs to come out and do a massive PB is awesome. Well deserved :-)

 
At 4:35 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

You ran brilliantly and I'm very proud of my running buddy. You'll crack 2 hours next time even if you have a toilet stop.

 
At 4:41 pm, Blogger Kate said...

Congrats Ellie- a new pb is awesome! You will absolutely crack 2-hours once you're completely better and can train properly.

I can't believe the cinema refused to screen brokeback.

Anyway, sounds like an awesome race weekend- you are lucky to have so many runner friends!

 
At 5:23 pm, Blogger running uphill said...

Great run Ellie! Obviously the interrupted training schedule worked well.

 
At 5:32 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Awesome result Ellie given your recent difficulties. I am soooooo happy for you!!!

And yes we are ;-)

Hugs
Jxx

 
At 6:38 pm, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Nice one Ellie, especially given your broken training lately :-)

See you Tuesday!

 
At 6:47 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Huuuuge congrats on the PB Ellie - that is a fantastic result - sub 2 beckons ;-)

 
At 7:17 pm, Blogger miners said...

Yes, I was trying the target strategy - it almost worked for Nat too ;)

GReat to see you Ellie - and even especially morer great to see you running so beautifully! Fantastic run miss E. And all that self doubt before the run too ... ;)

 
At 8:02 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Wooohoooooo - fantastic stuff Ellie!!!! Wow, that sub 2 would have been yours for sure if you training hadn't been so rudely interrupted.

Enjoy your recovery, you've earned it.

 
At 8:22 pm, Blogger Don Juan said...

Congratulations Ellie.

 
At 11:36 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Congratulations on the PB Ellie. Next time 1:55 easy!

 
At 12:11 am, Blogger Jodi said...

What a great run! You're unstoppable

:-)

Jodi

 
At 8:13 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Well done Ellie. Nice PB. Next year will be a big year for you. PBs every race me thinks. :)

 
At 9:49 am, Blogger Becky O said...

Well done on your PB Ellie. It must give you so much confidence to have done a PB given the interuptions to training.

Bet you cant wait till the next one :)

 
At 4:09 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Good on you Ellie - you nearly broke the back of the 2hr barrier. Next time for sure.

 
At 9:50 pm, Blogger Horrie said...

Fantastic result Ellie! Considering the preparation you have had with all your recent problems. When you get an uninterrupted preparation, you will smash through that 2 hour barrier.

 
At 10:02 am, Blogger PortRunr said...

Congratulations on a great run and a new PB Ellie :)
Thanks for looking after Tyler on Saturday...he's only going to get heavier you know so you have to give him back sooner or later :P

 
At 5:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God this shows how slow I am in reading blogs!!!!
Ellie, I was'nt lying, I was more shocked than anyone to do a 21min PB, if you would have seen me being carried by Horrie at the SMC half, you'd know what I mean!
Great run by you though, and a great venue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home