slow-but-enthusiastic

Friday, March 10, 2006

new shoes and hills

ok first the running then the venting (god this is cathartic).

I got up early this morning to try out my new shoes. I bought them yesterday from the Runners shop in Clovelly and they were very nice. Turns out I had the right type of shoe and I just got the next update of the Asics 2210, which unfortunately is orange and doesn't match my running clothes at all!!!! But other than that they are great and I am trying some different lacing to relieve a sore spot on the top of my foot. So far so good. Today I did two laps of the park (7.4km) but to take it up a notch but not go stupid with the distance I added a return trip up the hill at the Paddington gate which I find pretty tough. I did that after one lap and surprised myself by being able to then keep going for another lap. AND then at the end of my two laps and a hill I went up the hill AGAIN on my way home. So by the end I was absolutely buggered. But i think it is good for me to add some hills or else I get too used to flat running.

All in all it was probably 8 and a little bit kms.... (i have no idea how long that hill is - i think it is at least 300m but it feels like foreeeeever).

Now to the vent - i have officially resigned and everything and was hoping to negotiate the notice period but no - they are being really hard and sticking to 6 weeks to the day which is really really annoying. It means my start date is not for 2 months and it means that I can't take a real holiday as the time that I will have off I will need to stay in sydney because of my course and the volunteering that I do on the weekends. CRAP!!!! I was getting quite upset about this yesterday as I haven't had a holiday in over a year and now it looks like i won't get another one for a really long time. I am trying to be calm about it but feeling reaalllly stressed out.

I know that there is a lot of work on but who wants someone to stay and work who really doesn't want to be there? on the plus side i won't feel guilty any more for being late if i've gone for a long run...... or if i go to the gym and take longer than an hour at lunch...

sigh. but a good run nonetheless!

5 Comments:

At 10:00 am, Blogger kharman said...

Hey girlfriend. New shoes and a new job, thats at least something to look forward to. I do agree a holiday is always a must to re invigorate the soul. Good luck

 
At 11:21 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Putting in some hills is a good idea. That hill up to Paddo gates is quite a long haul so you did well to throw that in!

Perhaps they'll relent and let you take a few days off. Or there is the other option of getting a highly infectious disease which means you are unable to go to the office for a few days :)

 
At 3:55 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Hey Ellie... good run there! You will improve in leaps and bounds if you include some hills... god for your strength.

I agree that is shitty having to work for 6 weeks in a place you do not want to be! My hubbie has been offered a new Job and is waiting for confirmation blah blah and evry day he comes home and says how close he was to just walking out! Tough it out and Lulu is right a few days off here and there cough splutter will ease the pain.

 
At 8:53 pm, Blogger blues buffett said...

Hi Ellie

I would suggest being positive : new job = exciting.
Serving out your notice period = a. they really need you
b. cash flow
Keep positive, and well done on your training programme.

BTW, you really should turn on Word Verifier and eliminate the shocking Spam doing the rounds

 
At 5:12 pm, Blogger CJ said...

Well done with your run - you're improving all the time. Consistency is the key.

I have to buy a new pair of Asics 2210 but orange definitely does not appeal! Nor does it go with anything I own.

Word verification sounds like a very good idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home