slow-but-enthusiastic

Monday, March 12, 2007

6 Foot Race Report - and a run of my own

Wow - what an unreal weekend.

Left work early on Friday afternoon to pick up Sparkie, the Owl and WTR for a drive up to the Blue Mountains. Our special buddies Go Girl, 2P and Jen_Runs among MANY others were running 6 Foot Track on Saturday and we were official cheer squad and I was also a medal hander-outer-erer at the finish line.

We had a great dinner on Friday in Mount Victoria (where we were staying) and an early night so we could get up at the crack of dawn to get the girls to the start line. Which we did! I loved the atmosphere - every one was excited/nervous/happy. The weather was well behaved which was a big plus. Was great to catch up with so many people and meet a bunch of new runners.

After the start we had a lovely breakfast in Blackheath and a race to the start got us there just in time to see CR Fats win in a record time. Amazing!!!! So many people had great races and I got to be involved in a tiny way by giving all my mates their medals (not that half the people we medalled noticed - most were in a world of pain). I had a bit of a cry when I got a big hug from Jen as she crossed the line. What a brilliant run. Go Girl had a fall which meant she couldn't finish - but there is probably no one I would feel more confident of coming back even stronger next year.

Lovely dinner back at Mt Victoria with the usual suspects and some special guest appearances. I decided not to have tooo many beers in the interests on a run on Sunday morning. Nonetheless it was a great night and awesome to spend it with some very successful 6 footers and some extremely good looking cheer squad members...

Which leads me to Sunday morning - I did it! 10k! Not fast and I kept lagging behind Lulu and Lorna (but luckily they would run back for me sometimes :). It was a slog and there were some long hills but I did it. And glad I did. Thanks Lulu for pushing me for the extra ten mins. Back to SWEAT on Tuesday... eekk... 5.8k time trial...

11 Comments:

At 11:51 am, Blogger 2P said...

Hey good work on the 10k Ellie - thanks for the company and for hanging the medal around my neck.

Next year for you ;-)

 
At 4:26 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

I thought you hated your extra 10mins :)

I might see you tomorrow if my achilles decides it wants to play nicely.

 
At 4:45 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Sounds like a fun weekend. What a privelege it must have been to be the medal hander outer :-)

 
At 8:49 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Sorry about the sweaty hug - but you weren't the only one have a bit of a cry then ;-)

I can't thank you enough for your incredible faith & support. You don't know how much it means to me & how much I have relied on it. Looking forward to returning the favour next year :-)

 
At 9:30 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

I'd forgotten you were handing out the medals! Thanks so much. Those medals are hard earned!

So, I guess we've met then? Not that I remember. It was a bit of a blur and I was desperate to find a place to sit down!

Well done on the 10k :)

 
At 10:00 pm, Blogger plu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:01 pm, Blogger plu said...

Thanks for being there at the end. IT was a bit of a whirl like I was in an emergency hospital ward. Someone at my ankle , something put over my neck and then you realise it is over.

cheers PLu

 
At 12:28 am, Blogger Sarah said...

sounds like you had a great weekend. I would have loved to have been there.

congrats on the 10k and thanks for your comments on my blog! :)

 
At 7:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on handing the medals out :)

 
At 2:18 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Good to see you up in the mtns Ellie. Can't remember who gave me my medal, its a blur. Tux had the worst, taking off the timing chips. Blodlines notifier dropped you off my list somehow, thats why no comments lately.

 
At 4:05 pm, Blogger Hamburglar said...

Ellie,

Nice to meet you at sixfoot.

Might catch up again at Ironman.

Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home