slow-but-enthusiastic

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Finally!!!

Back to sweat training with sean this morning. I was a bit nervous but gave my self permission to take this session a teeny bit easy. I had also promised to give Lulu/WTR a dvd so I was struggling for excuses not to go. It didn't even rain until we were on the track. And then its never too bad.

The group was a bit low on numbers and definitely low on blokes (3 at the start!!)- mostly because of the (well deserved) post 6 foot recovery I think. Horrie was there as always. The man is a machine!!!

I had chosen a particularly poor day to get back into it. 4 laps of the lake (5.8k) time trial. Argh!!!! We did the usual warm up, drills, strides and I felt reasonably good on the accelerations which is a sure sign that something is wrong!!

The first lap I predictably went out too fast - but felt good. I knew it was dumb when I looked at my watch at the end of the first km and was on 5.11 pace. So from there it deteriorated. Slower and slower and harder and harder. Becky went past in the second lap and the girls I'd been trying to stick with took off. At the end of 3 laps I decided to stop and I did and then Sean said no way was I stopping. So back I went for another lap. Argh!!!

All up I finished 5.8k in 32.14 - which isn't horrendous. But it sure aint PB time trial pace. Never mind. I got there (number one big win) and I did it. All of it. It wasn't pretty but now I feel pretty good. Walked in to work and managed to get soaked. Ah well. Good times :)

EDIT - lunch - spin class - really worked hard. Have never actually sweated this much. Literally dripping sweat. I hope that means I'm fitter and not that I have some strange late onset sweat producing disease :)

10 Comments:

At 9:44 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Good on ya Ellie. Sometimes its more satisfying to complete a session you really want to bail out of than it is to do a PB. Not often, but sometimes :-)

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger Lulu said...

That's still not a bad time for your first attempt. I'm glad the 'bring the dvd for me to SWEAT' trick did it's job ;)

 
At 2:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on getting back into it Ellie. Won't be long before you are back to your usual times. Doesn't look like you have lost a lot of speed!

 
At 2:32 pm, Blogger miners said...

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.globalbikesonline.com/catalog/images/big-rear-N.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.globalbikesonline.com/&h=480&w=640&sz=25&hl=en&start=19&tbnid=J5vIRzKOk05NHM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbig%2Bbike%2Bseat%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den

 
At 4:53 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Nice work Ellie and not a bad time to boot goodonya mate ;-)

 
At 6:46 pm, Blogger Horrie said...

Great to see your smiling face back again. Well done on getting through the session. It will only get easier from here if you keep at it.

 
At 6:47 pm, Blogger running uphill said...

That sounds like a pretty respectable time to me. Well done!

 
At 8:23 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Sean is mean! No wonder there were no boys, except for the mad Horrie.

Hope you trained an apprentice for next year's medal handing out duties, as, of course, you'll be getting one.

 
At 10:04 pm, Blogger CJ said...

It was good to meet you on Saturday, ans even though I was feeling pretty nervous before the race i do remember us being introduced! I had heard so much about you that it was nice to put a face to the name!

 
At 11:49 am, Blogger PortRunr said...

Great to hear you're getting right back into the training Ellie...must have been an inspiring weekend. Sounds like you had fun up in the mountains, especially seeing up close all the exhausted and bloody finishers!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home