slow-but-enthusiastic

Friday, February 16, 2007

well look what we have here... one year down, hopefully lots more to go!

As I put that last post up I started to think that it was about this time last year that I entered the blog-o-sphere with some modest hopes that this running caper wouldn't be a flash in the pan burst of motivation followed by my usual motivational slump and lack of follow through.

Well by golly I think I did it. A whole year. I reckon I can now call myself a runner.

Looking back over that first post is interesting. I am still broke, but mostly because of my triathlon habit not my drinking habit :) I was doing a bootcamp which was a great 'in the deep end' intro to running for me. I was truly slow-but-enthusiastic and was spending lots of hours grinding around Centennial Park. Nothing has changed there!!

My goals were these:

- Run 10K
- Run 10K in 60 minutes
- Run in the Mothers day fun run
- Run the City to Surf
- Run the Blackmores half marathon (hmm maybe that can be a 2007 goal...)

I did every single one of those things and a few more.

But the biggest thing was the huge amounts of encouragement I got from everyone who reads this, and particularly from some people that I now call my good friends. And I can't believe that so many of you are still here putting up with my whingeing about iron levels, triathlon training, scary bikes, lycra, the ups and downs in my job, my love life (or lack thereof :), my homesickness and all the rest. But more than that, how much fun has this year been??? Road trips with the girls for races, breakfasts after long runs (can't beat that feeling of satisfaction!), piss ups with many and varied running buddies, heaps of races - running and cheering. The list goes on.

What a huge year. As much as I go on a bit about how hard things get sometimes (i'm not one to self censor...) I wouldn't change it for anything and I have absolutely zero intention of giving it up :)

Gee - now I feel great. Perspective is a beautiful thing :) doesn't help you remember your shoes though...

13 Comments:

At 2:10 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Wow - seems longer than that Ellie ;-)

Maaaaaaate congratulations on the one year milestone - you certainly have achieved a lot in your debut year - well done.

I very much look forward to following the next one.

 
At 2:24 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

What an amazing amount you have achieved this year Missy! I'm sooo proud of you. The next year will be even better.. as long as you remember your shoes.

 
At 2:33 pm, Blogger Gronk said...

You've come a long way baby !

 
At 3:18 pm, Blogger allrounder said...

good on you!

 
At 4:20 pm, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Who needs shoes when you have perspective?? The former is optional, but the latter is imperative (and unfortunately too often missing).

"Real Runners" of the world, unite ('cause we are one of them! :-) :-) )

Gnome

 
At 12:06 am, Blogger Wobbly man said...

1 year old huh? Its great to be following your journey Ellie - thanks for sharing!

 
At 10:25 am, Blogger Kate said...

Congratulations- it's hard to believe it's only been a year!

 
At 10:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your one year anniversary Ellie. Hopefully many more to come!

BTW I'm thinking it's about time you changed the name of your blog -enthusiastic you sure are, but you're certainly not slow!

 
At 11:22 am, Blogger running uphill said...

Fantastic achievements in just one year. Look forward to reading about your next adventures.

 
At 1:43 pm, Blogger Jodi said...

Happy Anniversary! I think that we all know how much a fitness journey can change your life. It has been great following you on your journey!

Jodi

 
At 2:23 pm, Blogger Jen said...

I can't believe that it's been less than a year since we met. It feels like a lifetime ago - in a good way ;-)

What an amazing year you have had! Congratulations on your achievements to date - your courage in getting out there & tackling things that scare you inspires me. Girl, you rock :-)

Can't wait to be there for you in 4 weeks time :-)

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Amazing. Just 12 months. It seems like we've known you forever.

Congrats on the journey so far :-)

 
At 4:23 pm, Blogger Horrie said...

Fantastic stuff Ellie. One year wiser and still putting in the effort. I think we all feel the same way when we start something like an exercise program. You have achieved so much and I am sure you have only just started. Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home