slow-but-enthusiastic

Saturday, January 06, 2007

stroke correction

to distract myself from the increasing hysteria re tomorrow I had a 2 hour stroke correction session this arvo which is part of a 3 week course. it was really great actually and I think that it will really improve my swimming.

the first pleasant surprise was when I got immediately in the slowest lane and they put me into the middle lane! and that is without flippers! cool :)

second pleasant surprise was realising that my lane buddy was fellow coolrunner nihao who is also doing nepean tomorrow - so i have a buddy in my event!

the 2 hours went by really quick, firstly we just swam for a bit to let them have a look at our stroke. then we started a series of drills which were videotaped. they had to do with body position, which i really struggled with. I need to work on some core stability... then we started on breathing right - mostly when you breathe out and when you breathe in. It was interesting to watch that stuff close up on the video. I didn't seem to be doing anything horrendously wrong, which is almost annoying cause something really bad I could fix and go super fast straight away!

still, improving my breathing did help because at the end we did about 10 or 12 laps breathing only every 4 strokes (slowly of course!) and i was nowhere near as puffed as I would otherwise have been. Cool...

now heres hoping I didn't tire my arms or legs out for tomorrow - i didn't ever feel like I was struggling or pushing so i think i should be ok. i do reek of chlorine even after a long shower though. 2 hours is a long time!

3 Comments:

At 6:45 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

*** GOOD LUCK ***

I have a theory, that its only when you are in good shape and ready for a great race that you get nervous. Its when you haven't trained etc and know that you are going to have a shocker that you don't worry.

Your post race blog entry is one I am very much looking forward to reading :-)

 
At 6:45 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Good luck tomorrow mate!

 
At 9:39 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Good luck. Have fun. And pass them all on the run leg. Yeehah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home