slow-but-enthusiastic

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

on yer bike

this mornings ride had a sole purpose - find out whether I can do the 20k required in the sprint triathlon at nepean on sunday.

The answer - yes. THANK GOD!! I did 6 laps of Centennial Park which is roughly 23.4 km. Not sure how long it took me because i left the watch behind (again...) but it was not too far short of an hour I think. I don't care how slow it was - I finished it, intact. Actually I think it has done wonders to work the tightness out of my quads. If only the calves were as happy.

I still find it hard, but I am counting on the nepean course being as 'flat as a pancake' as everyone tells me. That I can handle. Hills not so much :)

Had a near miss at the end when I unclipped but my weight was leaning towards my clipped in shoe. That would have been messy. Fortunately instint kicked in and the right foot unclipped itself with nanoseconds to spare. Would have hurt! But would have evened up my scrape from the Black Stump nicely!

Interesting note also, I find wearing plain bike shorts (rather than padded ones) more comfortable. Very unusuallll... perhaps I bought boys ones or something :)

roll on sunday...

7 Comments:

At 8:11 am, Blogger Shane said...

The regatta centre is very flat, I used to train there alot when I used to live in the area. I haven't been there for a few years now but the only hill I remember was a small bridge at the western end which is hardly worth mentioning.

Good luck it should be fun.

 
At 10:55 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Good to hear that you are starting to master the bike thingie! I'm starting stroke correction tomorrow too.. maybe we can go swimming together.

 
At 12:27 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

WTG Ellie! With the added confidence from today you will do great on Sunday. Good luck in transition! *winks*

 
At 6:33 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Sounds like you'll kill it on Sunday Ellie!

So what distance is the swim and the run? Dumb question but is the swim in a lake or a river?

 
At 8:03 pm, Blogger Kate said...

2 hours of strole correction sounds awesome- my lessons were 30 mins which just wasn't enough.

Good luck for Sunday, Miss Multisporter :-) You'll eat that course for breakfast.

 
At 8:12 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Centennial Park is a big hilly rollercoaster compared to this - trust me, I drive past it twice every day. It hasn't changed yet!

Love ya guts. You'll be fine :-)

 
At 10:44 am, Blogger Janice said...

Two things...I have twice fallen over on my bike because I forgot to unclip and was leaning slightly. Not fun.

Second...I also prefer shorts without padding. Don't know why, I just do. That being said, my butt gets pretty sore from the saddle. I've tried padded though and it doesn't help. Good luck with the race.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home