slow-but-enthusiastic

Saturday, December 30, 2006

mind games

CR 5k challenge this morning. I was not sure what my strategy would be or even really why I was going - but for some reason I got out of bed and there I was. Nearly turned around after i got out of bed, in the middle of the drive there and after my warm up. But no... mind game one - victory!

I was fortunate to have Tiger Angel to run with who was back for her first 5k in quite some time after injury/illness lay off. I quite cruelly grilled her on triathlons and transitions and she talked me through the process - which was invaluable for me - but perhaps less fun for her :) (*thanks TA :) *) In the end I crossed the line in 28.59 after TA took off with a sprint finish! Yay!!

I actually felt quite comfortable for that part of the run (avg pace 5.45) but the run back was a different story. I just felt quite bleughghhh (aside from the great company which was the only thing that kept me running!). We were going slower (6.20 pace) but it really bought home to me how much it is all in my head. No matter what speed I do - it feels like that is as fast as I can go and I can't imagine ever going faster. Of course I do and have - but there is still the little thought that 'maybe it was just a fluke and i'm never going to do that again'. So knowing that it is all in my head should mean that I can change it easily when I like - but that is a quantum leap I haven't quite made yet :)

6 Comments:

At 12:15 pm, Blogger miners said...

You girls celarly have too much space up in your heads for all those thoughts about running. Us blokes have many (yes, many, many) failings, but when we go for a run, we just *run*. If there's a bloke ahead, then he obviously has to be caught. And if there's a round-figure coming up on the clock for a particular race, then of course that has to be broken too ;)

Really great to hear about the Nepean plans!! Send me an email or call me if you need any other advice :)

 
At 6:46 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

You are going to do that again, and better!

Good luck next weekend - that's exciting. My tip is to survive the swim, go steady on the bike (don't crash) and blitz the run. Oh yes, post lots of bike photos.

 
At 12:28 am, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Don't believe Miners. He been doing it so long that he's forgotten how you have to believe that you can do it before you actually can. Sometimes, it's easier for us on the sidelines to see your potential than it is for you, but believe me, it's well and truly there! Now, stop thinking and start swimming (and riding and running :-))

Gnome

 
At 11:17 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Well done on at least getting out there and giving it a go. Hopefully I'll be there next time and that will give you an incentive to run faster as I will be breathing down your neck otherwise ;)

 
At 11:20 am, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Enjoy the NYE celebrations but don't go too hard looooool

See you bright and early for the Black Stump ;)

 
At 3:05 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Nice to see you yesterday! Happy new year!!! Hopefully see you tuesday :-) Heres to a happy and exciting new year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home