slow-but-enthusiastic

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

reality check

there is nothing like a return to Sweat and squad running to bring my ego back down to size :)

I exchanged some emails with coach Sean last night, mostly because I hadn't told him what my goal races for the year were and he wanted that before he did this month's program. As I have identified a beginners cycle squad (cheeky monkey one, apparently for beginners... i remain suspicious...) on Wednesdays I am going to go back to two sweat sessions per week. Things have changed though and now Tuesdays seem to be hills and fartlek and time trials and thursdays tempo or track or something.

Anyway - looks like I am going to leave the marathon off the calendar this year and look at it for 2008. I am happy with that! Triathlons and half marathons for 2007!

Back to todays session... good warm up 4.17k including strides and accelerations. The I was programmed 12 reps of a new instrument of torture 'wild walter'. This is a shorter version of wild wally - about 400m with 100m uphill, and the rest flat and downhill. I ended up doing 10. I did 5, took a break, 3, then a break and then finished the last two. My legs were really heavy, but i wasn't breathing too hard - just couldn't go any faster!

Times were: 2.04, 2.01, 2.02, 2.03, 2.07, 2.09, 2.09, 2.08, 2.05, 2.12 - all up 4.06km

Including cool down about 8.8km.

EDIT:

Ok - there seems to be some curiosity about which particular half maras I am going to do. sadly nothing exciting there - what I told Sean was this (amongst other blabbering on). Always open to more suggestions!!!


In terms of goal events:

- 4 Feb - Sprint Distance Triathlon (Nepean - All Womens - more of a casual one)
- 11 Feb - Sprint Tri (Kurnell)
- 3 March - Sprint Tri (Nepean Summer Sprint Series) (might drop this
one actually but not sure)
- 11 March - Sprint Tri (Kurnell)

Striders 10k series where possible
May - SMH 1/2 marathon
August - City to Surf
Sept - Sydney running festival 1/2 Marathon
December - Central Coast 1/2 Marathon

11 Comments:

At 9:32 am, Blogger Kate said...

Sounds like a good workout- I can't wait to hear how beginners' cycle squad goes- I wish I could find one here!

Leaving the marathon for another year also sounds sensible- it's so easy to get sucked into to the whole achievement thing, and always wanting to move up to the next level, but it can be dangerous!

 
At 10:47 am, Blogger Harvie said...

Good luck with your 2007 goals.
Harviekrumpet

 
At 12:06 pm, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Be suspicious Ellie. If it's the one WT went to, it was not really beginner friendly. I'd suggest sending her an email.

I bet you are still smiling and deservedly so.

TA

Ps did you see the photo with our leg numbers on CR?

 
At 12:45 pm, Blogger miners said...

Ok - you've got my interest. So which 1/2 marathons and which Tris are now on the 07 schedule?

 
At 1:03 pm, Blogger running uphill said...

Great to hear your training and racing is going so well. Keep up the good work.

 
At 2:47 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Nice morning session Ellie - yeah which half's?

 
At 4:41 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Very smart leaving the marathon until 2008. Now you can work on getting those half marathon times down.

Ultras in 2009?

 
At 6:09 pm, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Oooh, sounds like I was wise to sleep in this morning LOL

I really was't keen on the sound of "Wild Walter", loops and fartlek sound soooo much kinder to my legs (and lungs, and general sleepiness at 6am)

 
At 6:31 pm, Blogger Shane said...

Nice session there Ellie.

Looks like some great goals and races too, however I don't see any races up here in Queensland. We have much cooler events ;-)

 
At 7:53 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

See you in May and September - two good half marathons Ellie!

 
At 10:38 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Good to see you are sticking to the halfs to build your base for another year. A wise move to increase your speed and then go longer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home