slow-but-enthusiastic

Thursday, December 14, 2006

i did it!

As I have told a few people (who i hope realise i was not serious...) I am definitely official multi sport athlete now because... i have a number in permanent texta on my arm :)

however, before i even think of myself in the same sentence as athlete i will need to work on my swimming!! (and my running but in this case mostly the swimming.

As per usual I got there early... registered, added myself to 'wave 5' (of 6) which had the target time 31-33mins. met up with my friend (sort of work associate) mike who is speedy. he went with wave 2... there were a lot of fast striders there than I recognised but have never met. They have usually left any striders event by the time I finish...

Anyway obviously it was a quiet week this week and I decided to go with wave 4 otherwise wave 5 would have been ...me. but turns out that was a good plan because after starting at the back of the pack I would have passed 20 people in the first k. One or two people passed me later on. I was thinking that I had gone out too fast because it was hurting and the 2k split was 10.30. However, the 4k split was 21mins so i was spot on. (interesting to compare that 4k with my 4k Mothers Day race in May this year which was pretty much the same course - 22.34 - i thought i'd improved more than that...)

OK - so with a transition (you have to walk down the stairs and the length of the pool, get changed and jump in lane 3) and only 300m swim i finished in 30.12. That is over 9 mins for the transition and swim. That is REALLY slow!!!!!!! I struggled with the swimming after being free to breathe during the run. To suddenly be having to hold my breath was rough. Plus i'm slow swimmer. I was overtaken by two people and overtook two others.

anyway - lots of learnings... i think i wasted lots of time getting out of my running gear and need to streamline that a bit. Maybe elastic laces :) that would definitely gain me 10 mins or so...

13 Comments:

At 10:20 pm, Blogger Cirque said...

Well done sweetie/mate. You are now truly an athlete - the texta proves it!

 
At 10:42 pm, Blogger Shane said...

You done well Ellie, im sure you would have learnt alot of things which will help in your next multisport adventure.

I agree, elastic laces are the first thing you should invest in. They are so much more comfy to run in and alot faster for your transitions.

Good on you :-)

 
At 7:06 am, Blogger Jen said...

Hope you got a photo of the texta number - one to add to the collection. Well done lovely!

 
At 8:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done...i told you, you could do it... :)

Andrew

 
At 8:17 am, Blogger Ewen said...

Well done Ellie. Be careful in the shower so you don't wash the texta off too soon ;)

 
At 8:27 am, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Nice one Ellie - sounds like it was a great confidence booster - always good to be overtaking people ;-)

 
At 9:36 am, Blogger miners said...

so glad to hear you finally went - and you did great!! You're not meant to set the scoreboards alight on your first attempt (and if you had, I would have had to kill you), but it sounds like it wasn't half as slow as you're making it out to be.

yep elastic laces are the bomb (all my shoes have them - I train in them all the time), and other than a pair of goggles, you shouldn't have needed anything else. You should have run in whatever you were planning on swimming in. Transition should have comprised of shoes off (you don't need to wear socks for that distance) - goggles on and you're right to go :)

 
At 11:23 am, Blogger 2P said...

Nice work Ellie - but geez swimming?

 
At 1:33 pm, Blogger Jodi said...

Great job! I can't imagine swimming after running. Must take awhile to get into a groove with breathing.

You are a multisport athlete!

Jodi

 
At 6:02 pm, Blogger Kate said...

Nice work! A transition makes you an official multisporter in my book.. and a big texta number is important too! LIke miners said- not slow!

I'm doing a 4k/335 swim on Sunday- my aim is to swim without gulping this time- the minute I start swim racing, I forget how to swim

(PS- yay! finally a blog I can comment on)

 
At 8:05 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Yay, that's my girl. Very proud of you. Doesn't sound slow to me; I'd still be finishing off the swim.

 
At 9:36 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Great race Ellie. Yep like Miners said get a pair of the tri laces for your shoes and you''l take off heaps of time.

 
At 9:15 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Just catching up on everyone after being away for a few days.

What can I say but "YAY ELLIE"! Congrats on a great race. May there be many more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home