slow-but-enthusiastic

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

this morning was my first solo voyage on the bike and it felt like my first day at school - so many potential hazards and mistakes that i could make without even knowing!

firstly i had to get the wheels back on the bike. no worries. then i had to take off and clip in (i know this sounds basic - but i've only done it less than 10 times before and mostly with our friendly bike shop assistant waiting to catch me!). then i had to actually ride the thing - and the quads were burning in lap one! this is going to be very good for my hill running...

ended up doing 6 laps of centennial park. laps 3 & 5 were nominally harder efforts but i was really just wanting to get into the swing of it this morning - so all up just under 24k in just over an hour. it is definitely humbling just being constantly overtaken - but hey - i'm used to that from sweat training... as my blog title points out - i'm slow :) but at least i'm enthusiastic... hehe

swim squad tonight... but i dunno how much use my legs are going to be???

edit: went to squad despite some serious resistance and fatigue in the afternoon (caused by eating too much lunch i think...). it was a bit scary because the other 2 sessions that i will be going to are more stroke correction and are in the 25 m pool - this is a real squad session. anyway - it ended up being ok - and i was only probably 3rd slowest!

i can't quite remember but it went like this:
- warm up: 6 x 100 (50 free, 50 backstroke(!))
- 200's - supposed to be 3 lots - i did 2 and a half.
- 100's - up to 10 - think i did 5 or 6
- 200m cool down

all up looks like it was around 1800m?

they were all off certain times but i am yet to work out what that means... nothing really unless you are leading or at the front of the lane. which - i wasn't :)

6 Comments:

At 11:21 am, Blogger Simlin said...

I think you are about 1% Slow and 99% Enthusiastic!

 
At 12:22 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

At least you didn't fall off though did you? I'll have to meet you on my shopping bike and see if I can keep up!

Where are you doing swim squad?

 
At 1:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. I had to laugh when you described you first ride with cleats, I suffered the same fate and my butt was saw for about a week. Well done for getting back on. 24k in an hour is a pretty good hit out for your first solo hit out.
I sometimes find it hard to remember my squad sets, but write it down as soon as I get home so I can transfer it to my blog later. Will keep a reading your blog from now; glad you found mine :)

 
At 8:53 pm, Blogger PortRunr said...

Great to see you're getting right into the cycling and swimming Ellie. The swim session sounds pretty full on...I haven't even managed 1800m yet - maybe I should try a squad session or two!

 
At 10:07 pm, Blogger David Criniti said...

Good to see your triathlon career getting off the ground Ellie. I can hear the words ringing out from Mike Riley's mouth as I type...."Ellie Boyd, you are an ironman"!!!!

 
At 7:28 am, Blogger Jen said...

Hehehe. What Uncle Dave said ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home