slow-but-enthusiastic

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

and so it begins...

well there is a lot going on at the moment. yesterday i didn't go to training for a few reasons (excuses?) - i was tired (huge weekend and also did my long run monday), i have been sniffling a bit which is either the start of a cold or allergies - my preferred option! and it was going to be a long day at the office (ended up leaving at 9.30ish following our cocktail party for summer clerk candidates).

but now its today so its all good. a running rest day, but today is the start of the official triathlon training. eek. i had gotten a bit worried because i hadn't heard from the training people but when i pushed them it turned out one of the guys computers had crashed etc etc. (dog ate his homework?). anyway - we are all sorted now.

tonight is swimming squad. this is really scary for me. i am not a strong swimmer. nonetheless i get to wear flippers if i need to and hey - i managed to get through Sweat training when I first started! looking forward to some input on my stroke and getting comfortable in the water.

i have also decided that i am going to get a road bike not the mountain bike (here's hoping they have pretty road bikes too....) so i'll be back down to the shop at lunch today (wanted to go with jen tomorrow but darn meetings keep getting in the way!!). apparently it would be best for me to go the whole hog straight away (tri bars, funny clip in shoes etc etc) and deal with the discomfort early rather than upgrading later. so there you have it.

having a lot of 'woah i'm so far out of my depth' type feelings at the moment. but i figure that at least having some sort of fitness base will have to make this easier than starting to run... and if i am really shit at it and hate it - then i don't have to keep going.

anyway... a few big running weeks too! this saturday is striders 10k - gunning for 55 mins... and then the weekend after that is fitzroy falls which I am really looking forward to!

(i have also started doing one of those 100 things about me lists - more for myself. it is really hard! and most likely i will never post it... but very interesting to thing about yourself in list format!)

7 Comments:

At 9:19 am, Blogger Unknown said...

100 things about me? Tell me more!

 
At 10:45 am, Blogger Simlin said...

I am up to number 27 on my list...and struggling.

If you can start tri-training you can definately post 100 things for all to share :O)

 
At 11:32 am, Blogger Bernie G said...

Hey there is nothing like a challenge, just embrace it. I think I would struggle with a list of 100 things. CU tomorrow.

 
At 11:34 am, Blogger miners said...

interested in these 100 things. mainly so perhaps I can borrow some to make a list for myself. I would struggle to get past a half-dozen.

Glad the guys finally got back to you. Hope they give you something worthwhile to follow in their program. Have fun with the bike shopping!

 
At 1:28 pm, Blogger Horrie said...

Ellie, you have come a long way in a short time. Think back to how you felt when you first started running. Is it any different to how you feel about this challenge. Remember, we all have to start somewhere. Embrace the challenge and attack it with gusto and before you know it, you will be doing your first triathlon.

 
At 2:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog...check out http://kktri.blogspot.com/ for a similiar endeavor...

 
At 9:58 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Ha. I've started one of those lists too. I've got up to #32...

BTW, if you are crap at it, I'll buy your bike off you. But you won't be. You have come so very far Ellie in such a short space of time. As you said the other day, you think of your swimming & riding the way you used to think about your running - and how do you feel about your running now? You will rock Ellie. Go for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home