slow-but-enthusiastic

Thursday, October 05, 2006

mixin' it up

wednesday night

didn't get out of my meeting till 6.30 so was definitely not going to make the 6pm swim squad. still i trundled down and had a chat to the coach as the squad was finishing up. He suggested that i do 1500m with the flippers (ok training fins if you want to be technical - like really really short flippers).

i sort of followed instructions (not a strong point) and did 500m without flippers and then i did the 1500m with flippers. a few points about using them. it did make me much better at concentrating on my stroke. it makes your legs more bouyant which is good. but it is still hard work! i thought it would be a total bludge but it wasn't at all. in fact it was harder on my legs cause i was forced to kick from the hips not the knees.

all good but i noticed a lot of fatigue afterwards especially cause i didn't drink anything. was curious how i would go this morning...

thursday morning

sweat training. i had 2 sets this morning, 1 of 2 laps of the lake (about 3k) and one 1 lapper (just under 1.5k). I felt pretty tired in the legs but struggled through with the first 2 laps in 14.56 (avg pace 5.17) and the 1 lap in 7.30 (5.20 pace).

not as fast as i would have liked but not too bad given last night and the fact that i want to run strongly on saturday at striders 10k.

all up 8.5km.


and one extra added bonus from today is that kit and deanne - my lovely sweat mates :) - have offered to run with me on Saturday to help me to 55mins. I am so lucky to have so many gorgeous (and fast!) friends who really take me that extra step when I'm a bit lacking in confidence. thanks guys :)

7 Comments:

At 10:05 am, Blogger miners said...

ah ... should have warned about you about remembering to take a drink bottle when swimming. It's something that HEAPS of people forget to do. If you're still playing around with your kick technique, then grab one of the little kiddie kick boards and use that with the fins too - then alternate with fins-on, fins-off with the kickboard. Should give you a good feeling of kicking correctly ...

 
At 1:41 pm, Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, cool bike! That's what I want.

 
At 3:47 pm, Blogger Simlin said...

It's not fair that everyone has a bike but me...have to stick to the old Foot Falcon.

 
At 4:24 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Ugh... swimming - sorry but I'm alergic to it ;-)

Nice work at sweat - all the best for ole 55 on Saturday.

 
At 7:16 pm, Blogger R2B said...

I have to get back to swim class.It's a great way to get out any stiffness after running but i always feel guilty and watch McCleod's Daughters with Mrs R2B instead!Nice bike too! Very technical looking.

Ps getting into "Running within" now using some tips already to good effect!Thanks for the reccy.

R2B

 
At 9:18 pm, Blogger Jen said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!

I'll be sending you good thoughts on Saturday morning. I wont be online so send me a msg & let me know how you go!

 
At 10:35 pm, Blogger PortRunr said...

Sweet bike Ellie...glad you were able to switch to a roadie!
I need to do some fin work as well. My kick turns out to be my main weakness.

Have a great run on Saturday...go the 55 - you CAN do it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home