slow-but-enthusiastic

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

sweatin' again

great session on the track this morning. felt really sluggish in the drills and strides but picked it up. my program this morning was for 1800m, 400m, 400m, 600m.

The first rep was the big long one. Started strong and tried to hang on to Helen and Kit who are in marathon taper and so were going easy. I managed for about 2 and a half laps but lost them on the third. Still I was really happy with my effort and crossed in 8.45 (which is good cause it means i would have done 2k under 10 mins). 400's were done in 1.44 (phew - i was stuffed after that!!!) and 1.50 and i rounded it out with 600 in.. i don't know cause i forgot to press lap. Fairly sure it was 2.50...

All up 7.52k for the day.

Was also trialling my race day nutrition strategy which was sustagen and a few hundred mL of powerade when i got up and a few gulps of powerade 10-15 mins before the start. seemed fine. my stomach behaved itself.

had a chat to sean afterwards who reckoned that 2hr 02 mins was a good goal for me but that i should see how i go for the first 10k (aim for 58 mins, 5.50 pace) and then pick it up. I should keep the 2hr group in my sights he thought. so not too far off what i thought. i have also probably given the wrong impression - i really really really want to go for 2 hours and i like to have a goal that is reasonable but challenging etc etc - but i won't be massively disappointed if i don't get it - even if i end up crossing in 2 and a half hours! This has been my biggest goal for the year and I will be very very happy just to finish! hurray!

then i get to come up with new goals to play with :)

10 Comments:

At 12:09 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

I think you'll be fine with all those pacers running with you. Sean's plan sounds like a good one. Can't wait to see you achieve this goal and then we can work on some new ones!

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger miners said...

oooh ... getting excitement now. stick with those pacers. Youll get through it fine (just find someone who likes to talk so you can forget about hurting)

 
At 1:41 pm, Blogger Sekhmet said...

With all those people around you I reckon you'll have a blast. Just remember to enjoy yourself ;-)

 
At 1:50 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, it sure is getting exciting! Sounds like a reasonable goal Sean has set for you, I'm sure you will romp it in.

Are you doing the Central Coast Half in December? I reckon by then you will well and truly bust that 2 hour mark.

 
At 2:45 pm, Blogger allrounder said...

i reckon you can do it Ellie, my first half was the same one last year and my goal was to go sub 2hrs as well (1hr57min)...your training has been going well & you'll have excellent company!

 
At 6:15 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Good for you Ellie - it's all starting to look good ;-) Can't wait to read your race report.

 
At 8:46 pm, Blogger Jen said...

I know what her new goal is,
I know what her new goal is,
Ha ha hahaha!

See you Sunday gal :-)

 
At 9:54 pm, Blogger Don Juan said...

Good luck for the half on Sunday.

Just enjoy this one, because this is a tough half-marathon course which pace calculators can't factor in. We all flog ourselves stupid trying to beat PBs, and you'll only lose your half marathon virginity once so enjoy the experience. You'll run well too.

 
At 10:18 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Good plan Sean ;) Regarding the pacers - sometimes they're bloody hopeless, so run on feel and try to get your own splits early on (don't stick with them regardless and think they're running the right pace).

Also, as DJ says, it's not an easy course to run evenly on because of the undulations (especially that big one near the end). Running at an even effort is the best bet.

 
At 12:10 am, Blogger Superflake said...

Good luck with the half Ellie. I might see you at the start or passing opposite ways out at Leichhardt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home