slow-but-enthusiastic

Thursday, January 11, 2007

fartlek schmartlek

that was how i felt about training this morning. but i did have a giggle at coach Sean's t-shirt. On the front it said "FARTLEK" and the back said "its a running thing.. you wouldn't understand".

warmed up to the tune of 2.9k then I was programmed to do 5 x 1k fartlek loops. it just seemed like a hard slog, even before it started. Still somehow I was at the start line and the first 3 went by ok, was puffed but not about to collapse. Then lap 4 my knee started hurting. Woah - my brain started to go 'is this psychosomatic? did generate myself an injury cause i can't be bothered? is this karma for being a COMPLETE AND UTTER WHINGER this morning?'.

Either way I decided to stop just in case it was a real injury. I am also a little cautious after the run on sunday with no orthotics and no inner soles in my shoes. I have a massage with Gary next week which will hopefully iron out the kinks. Sean things from where the pain is - and he poked it nice and hard to be sure - that its not my knee but a hamstring tendon and stretching gently is ok but too much stretching is bad. So i walked and jogged home - another 4.3km and 7.2k all up for the morning.

woteva

and thanks flake for pointing out my position relative to the male athletes on sunday - nothing like a bit of a confidence boost from your mates :)

8 Comments:

At 9:06 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Don't be too hard on yourself Ellie - its only four days since that triathlon.

 
At 11:10 am, Blogger Harley Warren said...

It was a hard session this morning Ellie dont be hard on yourself I think we all struggled a bit. Keep up the good work.

razor

 
At 12:01 pm, Blogger Kate said...

Cool t-shirt :-)

 
At 12:11 pm, Blogger miners said...

smart thinking - tris can knock you around the first few times. One of the reasons why is those first 2-3 km of the run. They don't feel like your legs, so as a result you may not be following your normal running form (let alone the issue with the sans-orthotics run). Take it easy before the weekend :)

 
At 12:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered what had happened to you at SWEAT this morning. You must have left before I finished (not difficult as I was last!!!)

Rest up before the weekend.

 
At 10:48 pm, Blogger 2P said...

I love fatlek....

Hope the knee starts behaving.

 
At 8:53 am, Blogger Katie said...

Gee they are all so nice.... so I will be mean! Wus!! hahaha... teasing ;-)

3 laps is still a bloody good effort.... it felt tough this morning!~ I lamed the humidity.

 
At 6:50 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

I hope the hammy is OK. Good idea to stop early Ellie (that's a smart running thing).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home