slow-but-enthusiastic

Monday, December 18, 2006

looking back, moving on

I thought it was time for a Gronk-inspired reflection piece looking back over 2006. Actually its almost a bit much and I get a bit misty eyed thinking about it because during the year I have made a lot of changes and had a lot of beginnings but also a lot of endings and had to face a few not-so-nice parts of myself :)

I couldn't have imagined when I started reading www.coolrunning.com.au or when I got the courage up to commit to this running business in a public online forum (the blog) that I would actually follow through with it. How many times have I started things (particularly fitness related) and stopped because they were too hard or because they didn't fit with how I saw myself (ie. unfit and 'no built to be a runner')? I can't count.

But somehow I did it. I set myself the goal of running a half marathon this year - and I bloody did it. I still don't quite believe it, and I still manage to minimise that achievement (a huge one for me) by giving myself grief for being slow, or missing sessions, or nowadays for not doing enough training in the cycling and swimming department.

But - overriding that is that now I know that I can set myself a goal and I can do it. I actually do have a bit of willpower. Admittedly its variable willpower and works less after lunchtime when there is chocolate about - but I can decide to train and then follow through with it. I know it doesn't sound like much - but it is to me!

Plus I have had so much fun this year. I can't even begin to say how much the support of all my new CR and blogging buddies mean to me (you all know who you are :) - and so much more than just running too - I love you guys! A few memorable times I've had so much doubt and you've dragged me back up and I truly appreciate it. And whereas originally I would just tell you all about my hangovers, now lots of you get to participate in generating them - which is much healthier I think!

Highlights have included:

- racing (who would have thought!)- i suspect its more the atmosphere than the actual racing given that almost every time I wonder why i do this to myself - in particular the Sydney half which was such an amazing thing for me

- Long runs with the girls.

- Feeling so much healthier.

- Having an achilles tendon now - and hamstrings!

- Setting harder and harder challenges for myself.

- Being that sporty person in the office that everyone rolls their eyes at when I tell them I've already done an hour and half of exercise before I walked in the door.

- So much more energy.

- Perving at cute running and multisport boys.

Lowlights/obstacles:

- Giving myself a hard time about speed/training/[insert miscellaneous] :)

- Getting the 'iron woman' nickname for all the wrong reasons... and the resultant plethora or blood testing and lack of energy - culminating in the 10k at Fitzroy falls which had me wondering whether I could do it any more.

- Letting personal stuff sometimes get in the way of my training.

(but really there were waaaaayyyy more highlights than lowlights)


What now???

Well I have decided to give that triathlon business a go and that has meant that I seem to have lots more goals now... 2007 goals are... (in no particular order yet)

- eat better (this is going to be a big one...)
- All Women's Triathlon - early Feb - Sprint Distance (750m swim, 20k ride, 5k run)
- Olympic Distance Tri sometime in 07
- (this is a maybe) Rottnest Marathon in October...
- Get my 1/2 mara time under 2 hours
- 10k time down to 52 mins EDIT - ok fine - 50 mins
- 5k time down to 23 mins
- Do all the same races I did this year and do them faster!
- EDIT - including City 2 Surf - Sub 80 mins...
- Get comfortable on the bike - i want to be able to indicate at least :)
- Get faster in the pool
- back myself a bit more.

anyways - feeling like I've written a book (novella anway) so should cut myself off - there really is something self indulgent about a blog. But hey, its a blog - its like a narcisistic paradise :)

Roll on '07

[EDIT - ok just made some goal changes/ add ons after some peer pressure :) Also - you will all no doubt be pleased to know that I went to sweat this morning and had a great session!!! 5k warm up, 5 x 600m reps and then a few k cool down for about 10k all up. I was really happy with my times: 2.48, 2.45, 2.40(!), 2.50, 2.42.]

13 Comments:

At 6:31 pm, Blogger miners said...

It's wonderful to look back on everything that you achieve in a year - and you've achieved so very, very much missE so you should be feeling proud (and yes, you're entitled to feel a little teary).

I like the look of your 2007 goals, but was hoping to see a C2S goal in there somewhere. Remember there's always some really great fun tris up the coast around my way if you're keen on a weekend away. Trial Bay in February, Camden Haven in October, and any of Port's local club races spring to mind. You'd be more than capable of doing well at all of them.

Speaking of which, your 2006 summary should be a good reminder for you to continue to have belief in yourself girl! Goodness knows the rest of us all do, and know what you're capable of! You've been one of the big CR achievers for the year. Don't ever doubt that you're not capable of great things :)

 
At 6:31 pm, Blogger Shane said...

Great Post Ellie, you have achieved alot this year and you should be proud of yourself. It is good to see that you have set your sights on other stuff aswell, you should enjoy the Tri's.

I look forward to reading about your progress and achievements in 07.

In the meantime I will still visit for the remainder of 06 ;-)

 
At 7:44 pm, Blogger Cirque said...

Ellie - even though I haven't met you yet, following your journey over the last year has been incredibly inspiring.

It's been amazing to watch you achieve goal after goal and I know you have so many more achievements ahead of you.

2007 will be a fantastic year for you and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it and hopefully sharing some of it with you.

 
At 8:05 pm, Blogger Kate said...

Great post! It's been a mega year.. The first year of training is sooo special.

Your goals for next year are great- especially backing yourself more! It's hard when the improvements start to slow down (or when you start backsliding and going from PBs to PWs.. ok, that was about me.. not you..) but your first year has been spectacular, and you've faced the struggles so you know you have the strength and perseverence to keep up with this crazy business!!

 
At 8:23 pm, Blogger Jen said...

It's been my pleasure to assist in generating some of those hangovers
;-)

You are so much stronger - mentally, physically & emotionally - than you give yourself credit for. Make that last goal of yours a priority & the sky is the limit chicky ;-)

And thank you for everything!

Bring on 2007 !

 
At 9:41 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Wow - this is serious - you used capitals and punctuation for most of it ;-)

Thanks for sharing Ellie - following your blog has been both a pleasure and an inspiration - keep the great work going.

Oh yeah - the 10k goal is soft - make it 48 mins :-)

 
At 10:39 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

You had a great year in 2006. Looks like 2007 will be even better. And sub 50mins is a better goal for 10ks, with training you will knock it off.

 
At 6:27 am, Blogger running uphill said...

Wow what a fantastic year. I've really enjoyed reading your blog and being inspired by your perseverance. As people often say running is a good metaphor for life - it's about how you face those challenges, not giving up, etc. Look forward to seeing how next year goes.

All the best!

 
At 8:36 am, Blogger Simlin said...

Can I copy and paste most of that into my blog? I was reading it thinking that I was reading a draft of my own 2006 reflective post!
Well done.

 
At 9:20 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, what a year! You have achieved so much and the best thing is you've had fun doing it. If only those work collegues who roll their eyes knew what they were missing.

 
At 5:53 pm, Blogger Gronk said...

Well done on a great 2006 Ellie. I'm sure that 2007 will bring you a whole bunch of new PBs.

I hope you have a great Xmas & a happy new year. :)

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger PortRunr said...

Lovely post Ellie. Congratulations on everything you've achieved this year. When hearing so much about the big things that others do I think it's easy to lose perspective on how far you've come yourself and the huge personal changes involved. But the great part of the whole CR/blog thing is that the training routine becomes the norm, and it inspires you to want to keep improving and moving to the next level. I'm sure you've got plenty of that ahead in 2007 and you'll be turning those goals into reality.
Have a Happy Xmas and a wonderful New Year :)

 
At 8:11 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Thanks Ellie. Never minimise your achievements. You've done fantastically well. Good goals for 2007, although it should be 49:59 or faster for the 10k.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home