slow-but-enthusiastic

Saturday, August 05, 2006

i love hills

at least that is what my new book "Running Within" (Lynch & Scott) tells me i should be thinking as i run up said hills.

Got up at the crack of dawn to pick up the owl for our trip to the Striders 10k at Lane Cove. This was the Owl's second 10k and second trip to Lane Cove. My first trip to that course and I really do love running with trees rather than cars :)

I had a bit of a bad attitude because of the rain and all the tales of the nasty hills. Fortunately the rain was not torrential at any point although I was lucky that i chose to wear my 'rain' shoes because they got completely soaked. the hills were tough but a combination of my new positive hill thinking (i love hills... i love hills...) and imagining myself being carried up by helium balloons (ok - i'm new at this visualisation business...) really helped and although i found it ridiculously hard I didn't have that same conversation in my head about how there was no way I could make this and my time would be terrible and what was i thinking pretending i was a runner... etc. you get the picture.

in the end i was really happy to finish in a PB time of 55.43 which was a pb of 53 seconds :) avg pace was 5.36 which i was really happy with and I am inching closer to that 55 minute mark! maybe north head.... hehe.

EDIT: official time of 55.50 so only a pb of 46 secs ;)

splits were: 5.19,5.23,5.48,5.31,5.58,5.47,5.46,5.26,5.46,4.54 (this is a bit deceptive as my garmin was a bit out and said 9.94 at the end so that was shorter than the rest of the splits). not sure if that is a negative split or not - i think it was pretty consistent and i was pleased that i didn't even go over 6 mins in the hard hilly kms.

was great to catch up with everyone again and i really appreciate it all the fast people smiling or waving or even cheering me on - if i didn't reply it was cause i couldn't breathe! loads of great runs, but especially Will who stuck to the 40min Guz train with ease and also Gronk I think smashed his. noice.

had a great breakfast and chat with the Owl after, and had the most delicious pancakes which would have been great, except that it was the smallest meal i've ever had - i've had pikelets bigger than these pancakes! still portion control is a beautiful thing hey?? plus its nearly lunch time now...

ok - so i didn't last long with my plan to keep it short and sweet did it? ah well - can only fight nature for so long... i'm a writer at heart :)

8 Comments:

At 5:26 pm, Blogger Simlin said...

definately noice...still proving my point nicely!

 
At 6:52 pm, Blogger Horrie said...

Congratulations on the PB Ellie. You looked very strong out there. You will be going sub 55 before you know it.

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger R2B said...

Nice running Ellie!
I was there today running with the Glenn Guzzo bus but fell apart after only 5km in 20 and the rest in 26.So i was running the same pace as you in the second half!

I wanted to say hi to a bunch of CR's at the end but i was down on myself and was a little shy for meeting new people so just went home.Sad i know.

Keep up the good work,i might have a look at that book it sounds like it could do me some good.

Cheers R2B

 
At 8:41 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Huuuuge congrats on yet another PB Ellie! When is this madness going to stop ;-)

When we got to hills one of my running buddies used to always say "hills are our friends". Hmmm, with friends like that ....

See ya next weekend - yay!!!

 
At 9:15 pm, Blogger Don Juan said...

Congratulations Ellie.

You look good on hills.

 
At 12:25 am, Blogger the_en4cer said...

Well done on the PB! I like your attitude towards hills, its totally opposite to mine - perhaps you should take up being my pre-race personal motivator?

 
At 11:24 am, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Thats an awesome time for 10km. Well done.

 
At 7:43 pm, Blogger Dave said...

Congrats on the PB of "only" 46 seconds!

Plenty more to come if you keep on loving hills :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home