slow-but-enthusiastic

Thursday, April 13, 2006

SWEAT-y hills

(i'll stop making the sweat-y jokes soon... i promise)

Well I went back for round two this morning. On the agenda was a hills session at "big bertha" which had me a little worried! I rocked up, did a couple of warm up laps of the oval (first mistake! don't waste energy on the warm up laps when we have to jog to the hill....). Then we jogged over to the hill. Which makes a couple of k's warming up which is generally a good percentage of my whole run!!

Then those funny warm up things which culminate in accelerations that i believe in a normal person would resemble a sprint. i think i actually slow down... its all psychological - i know it!

So then the hills began. Sean marks out a 500m round trip course up and down the mountain. Most people do 10 laps but us beginners only had to do 6 (thank god - some of the 10 lappers still beat me!!). The thing that got me was that you have to keep going and no stopping at the bottom! I finished my 6 (so 3km of hills) in 17m46s. I consider this a win!! i didn't stop at all.

i do need to work on going fast down the hill though. i find it really hard to "lean forward and let go" as I am supposed to do. i think i would fall over!

anyway so then we ran back to the oval and stretched and i ran part of the way home (cause i was running late!!).

i really enjoyed it again and after i finished a rested for a bit i felt like i could have gone another lap or 2. but i didn't.

was good to see wildthing down there today. everyone is very nice! and no one has pointed and laughed yet so alll good.

roll on easter...

9 Comments:

At 9:49 am, Blogger Don Juan said...

If you can enjoy Big Bertha then the rest is a breeze.

Those funny warm up things might be called exercise drills, and they can be harder than the rest of the session.

 
At 10:52 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Woohoo well done Ellie. I think I neglected to tell you big bertha was done with no stops at the bottom..lol. Great to see you going back; I'm very proud of you! Just wish I could be there too. Just had an email from Sean advising me to do another 8 weeks build up before I come back for proper training. You'll all be too fast for me by then :(

 
At 11:47 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Gee Ellie, you'll have to change the name of your blog soon ! Well done girl !

 
At 12:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What bootcamp are you doing ellie?

 
At 12:21 pm, Blogger Ellie80 said...

Hi Janika - I was doing a bootcamp that is run by a couple of guys, one of whom runs some Fitness First ones as well. They are actually fantastic and so much fun. The first 6 week course I was really motivated and improved my fitness loads! I am not sure why but i just lost it in the second course. Could be because I picked up my running a little.

If you are interested though I would really really recommend these guys and if you email me I can give you contact details.

E

 
At 12:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're on - 7 it is!

wt

 
At 1:40 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Nice work with Bertha Ellie - if you can run hills and enjoy it you are well on the way ;-)

 
At 1:44 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Ellie, great to see you getting serious about this running caper! I know how you feel about the down hills though. Somebody once told me to run down hill like a kid - sometimes it even helps if you let out a squeel :-)

 
At 5:26 pm, Blogger Jen said...

I think Tesso is right - hills were meant to be run down with arms flailing and letting out a squeel. Just make sure you don't hit anyone else in the process

;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home