slow-but-enthusiastic

Thursday, March 16, 2006

no boot camp

enough said. back on the wagon tomorrow and this weekend. will be a good chance to test my resolve not to drink too much - tonight we have a candidate drinks function which last year turned into a HUGE night. Saturday I have an old housemate coming to stay and I promised that I would show him a good sydney time so that means it could be messy. i'll see if i can just get him drunk and not myself... hmm...

i am trying to put together some kind of a plan to build up to running a half marathon over the next 6ish months - but everything seems to be in miles - which means nothing to me. of course i could just convert it but then i don't really even know how far i run in kilometres unless i go around the park - and i am getting a little bored of that... will keep looking.

Also - before the mothers day fun run in may i would like to do a 4 or 5km fun run to get a feel for it - but can't seem to find one. Anyone have any ideas? The only "fun" run i have ever done was a WA Law Society fun run and it was supposed to be 3km each. which would have been fine at the time (but that was about my limit). i was the second of 3 runners each doing the 3km but the guy who was meant to tell you to turn around thought there was only one runner, so the second runners all just kept. on. going. for what seemed really really far!! (prob about 5km total...). i'm a bit scarred by that because i was totally not ready for it and it was actually quite a competitive run... eek.

am going to try and really focus in the next few days/ weeks/ months to take my mind off the fact that (a) i still have 5 weeks in a job i don't like, and (b) said goodbye (again) to the navy boy this morning and have no real idea of where it stands... :( wish i wasn't such a chicken and could just ask! oh well - time will tell...

at least the weather is warm :)

10 Comments:

At 3:37 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Gees Ellie, you pack so much into a short space of time - the work thing, the navy boy thing, the wagon thing (yikes!) and of course the running. I feel exhausted reading your blog!

You mentioned volunteer work. Not sure if I've missed reading it but what sort of volunteer work do you do?

Sydneysiders would probably know lots more about local 5k races but for a start there is the Sydney Marathon Clinic out at Smithfield, they have a 5k this Sunday.

And you MUST get along to the next CR 5k Challenge. I think they are the last Saturday of the month. Keep an eye on the CR messageboard. I've done a couple of these when I've been in Sydney and they are great. And best of all you'll get to meet lots of lovely CRs.

 
At 3:55 pm, Blogger Ellie80 said...

Thanks Tess - I saw that Marathon clinic thing but was concerned that maybe that was only for fast people? The CR 5km challenge sounds great - so long as there are plenty of slow people along as well!

I volunteer with a mentoring program that teams up women with disadvantaged teenage girls - a group that is often neglected. It is run as a big sister- little sister thing. We speak pretty regularly and the entire group of big and little sisters get together every month to do some amazing stuff that these girls (and us big sisters!) probably wouldn't get a chance to do otherwise. It is a fantastic program!

And re the "wagon" - I meant the running wagon!!! Although the drinking wagon is probably also relevant... certainly some Saturday mornings it is...

thanks so much for all your great advice and comments - I really appreciate it Tess :)

Ellie

 
At 4:12 pm, Blogger Mandy said...

Hi Ellie, I'm in the job hunting boat myself, and I don't know what I want to do! There are about 8 different things I can try with this diploma and am scared I am going to pick the wrong one, like I did coming out of university.

As far as races, want to come ice running?? lol Tonight I ran in ice fog, and hit some black ice and almost took a tumble! We are lucky here, there is at least one race every weekend in the city. About 7 half marathons alone.

And men, well the only one I want around right now is my cat!

 
At 5:14 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Hi ellie, we can try and organise to meet for a run this weekend if you like. I can drive down to Centennial Park and meet you there. I've got 35 mins on my programme so it will be one and half times around the park! I can watch you do the rest of your long run from the cafe!

Tesso is right: SMC this weekend has a 5km. Some people walk so no need to worry about being slow. I did it in Dec and it took me 28.30 so I'm no fasty.

I haven't been to a CR 5Km challenge but I'll go if you go :)

If you want a programme for the half marathon, look on the Gold coast marathon site. They have programmes there which are written by Pat Carroll. There is a beginners one which might suit you. Last year I used the intermediate one when I trained for the SMH half and I finished at least !

Maybe see you at the weekend.

 
At 9:47 pm, Blogger Spark Driver said...

I entered my first 5km race last year also worried about how fast/slow I would be. I found that on the day there where heaps of others at my pace or even slower. Just get out there and enjoy the day.

 
At 9:54 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

5k is a good race distance Ellie. The CR 5k challenge sounds good.

Yes, at least the weather is warm!

 
At 8:40 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Hi Ellie, sounds like you need a program to get you in a routine and build your base. I need to follow one to keep me focused on the job.

Have a look at the Pat Carroll Beginner 10km program on the Canberra Marathon site. The runs are all timed in minutes rather than distance. Very easy to follow.

http://www.canberramarathon.com.au and follow the Training link.

:)

 
At 10:09 pm, Blogger CJ said...

Ellie you have a life!

I'm sure you'll receive lots of advice about running a half marathon but if you don't give e a holler and I'll see what i can dig up for you!

Take care and have a good weekend!

 
At 11:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellie im going to be in sydney on sunday i might do the SMC 5km if you go i will be wearing a white singlet with purple and green sides with purple writing on the front if you see me say hi!
I will run with you if you like and then you couldnt possibly look out of place!(that will be my job)
Let me know on my blog what you decide
Cheers R2B
http://run2become.blogspot.com/

 
At 2:47 pm, Blogger allrounder said...

i agree with Gronk - Pat Carroll's programs are good...i did my first half last year, using his program for beginner's from 12 weeks out...

i reckon you should aim for the Half in the Sydney Running Festival in September...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home