slow-but-enthusiastic

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

over before it began

i decided today to just do my 10k slow and easy and not got to sweat for 300m reps. yeah - good in theory. I got to about 1k and felt alright, at 2k after a monster downhill i felt pretty puffed and would have put my pace around 6.20 - looked at my watch and i was doing 7.30s. still that was ok - i knew i was a bit washed out so just wanted to get through it.

the at around 2.5k i started feeling a bit light headed and dizzy. this is no good i thought so i started walking for a bit. walked a bit and thought - maybe i just need to push through it... and so i ran a hundred metres or so then had to sit down cause i thought i might fall over. bloody hell. ended up walking home via sweat training for 6k all up. I had a quick chat to Sean but he didn't have much to say and lost attention v quickly :)

anyway so that is all crap. i probably was being a bit optimistic that things would be better after one day on the little red iron pills. but maybe its all in my head and I should have pushed through. i dunno.

ah well. what is done is done. i did give it a shot. should have stayed in bed though...

8 Comments:

At 9:32 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Listen to your bod Ellie. Don't be scared to take a day off if thats the signal your getting.

 
At 1:04 pm, Blogger 2P said...

2P's rule of thumb #47 - If when feeling completely crappy (either before or during a run) you run for 5 whole minutes and it doesn't get any better - give the gig a miss.

Mate even when all the planets are aligned, god is in his or her heaven and all is well with the world you can still have runs like that - don't get hung up if it is psychokological 'n stuff like that - it is what it is - accept it, move on :-)))

Good on you for giving it a bash though ;-)

 
At 1:55 pm, Blogger R2B said...

yep some days ya just feel crap!

 
At 4:49 pm, Blogger miners said...

give those little red babies time to do their magic - and just rest a little more. There's no need to be racing up and out the door every day right now.

So, I generally agree with the above comments - however as opposed to 2P's 5-minutes, I generally rely on 10-minutes. Now that I'm getting to be an old man, I think my creaking joints take at least 2km to get themselves in order for a run :(

 
At 5:26 pm, Blogger running uphill said...

The iron deficiency causes dizziness (I know form experience) so I would go easy for the next little while. Thanks for your comments on my blog - someone wanting to run my pace makes me feel like a REAL runner! I have to agree with miners the first 10 minutes of any run are horrible.

 
At 5:34 pm, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Hi Ellie. The iron tabs are going to take a while to kick in. Although your test is not for 6 weeks (because it can take that long to fill the stores back up) most people start to feel better after a couple of weeks and really good in a month. In case they didn't tell you - have half a glass of orange juice (or a vit C tab) with your iron tabs (if not already in them) and each meal. Vit C helps the body to absorb iron better and consequently helps drag every bit out of our food and into us where it is much needed :-).

When I got sick this year I was told to do just enough training today that will allow me to train again tomorrow. Tough but you will feel much better for it.

TA (who is still low in iron :-( but then again I'm most unusual!) - you will get better!!!!

 
At 9:04 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

At least you cut it before falling down. If your levels were very low, it could take some weeks to remedy it.

As TA says, go easy on the training. Maybe just 2 reps of Wild Wally ;)

 
At 11:54 pm, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Sounds like you may have been still iron deficent. Don't push yourself too hard. You will be back to form soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home