slow-but-enthusiastic

Monday, October 30, 2006

Definitely NOT an iron woman

went back to the doctor who wanted to discuss my blood test results this morning and then verdict was apparently very clear - very very low iron levels. On the plus side this explains the lethargy and tiredness and can be easily remedied with iron supplements (1 per day for a week and if it is ok I have to go up to 2 a day after that, another blood test in 6 weeks). So combined with my increase in protein i should be raring to go. Its quite a relief actually to know that there is a reason for my steady decline in energy levels. Just popped my first pill...

Sydney 20-10 challenge...

Well what a Sunday! Will and I caught the train up to Crows Nest for the start of what I am sure will be the annually occuring 20-10 race over a 20k course with 10 pub stops. There were 3 girls there so I was a shoe in for a podium finish ;) but given that i cut out 2 pubs (mostly for the running not so much the drinking although drinking with beer in my stomach was a whole new experience is icky...).

I ran with Gefjam and Amjan for most of it and was very grateful for them slowing down to keep me company.

Was a fun day all up although next year with iron levels intact and more training under the belt I won't be taking shortcuts! (that is my excuse anyways :)

Catching up with everyone post event was hilarious. Because I was (relatively) sober I really noticed that really drunk people get really repetitive... But that was ok - they'd had a big day! was great to catch up with everyone and get to know a few new coolrunners too.

anyway - work calls...

EDIT - also - I had a number (ok 2...) people telling me yesterday that I was doing too much and should cut back my training. A valid point (despite the fact that they were sh*tfaced) for sure but I am going to keep going on the following basis: my thurs night session is just an optional one and I might actually make it a jog rather than a squad session... Sat afternoon swim squad is also optional and I am only going to do it if I feel like it. Plus everything should be heaps better when I get my iron back to a good level so all is a-ok. I know its just cause you care guys ;) thank you!

6 Comments:

At 12:56 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Nice work on the 20/10 Ellie - congrats on the podium finish ;-)

Yeah I don't think it will do you any harm to scale back on a couple of sessions.

Of course I care - if anything happened to you it would mean one less blog to distract me ;-)

 
At 1:12 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Steaks!

 
At 4:34 pm, Blogger miners said...

Welcome relief to know there's a reason for the lethargy miss E. That should have you on a bit more of a level playing field when you hop back into the training (today's a rest day isn't it?)

You're right about the "optional" sessions in the program. I reckon about 80% of mine are optional too :)

 
At 4:35 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

You better come over for some meat cooking lessons and eat lots of spinach.

I think you're still tipsy because you've written that drinking with beer in your stomach is icky... hehehe

I think you'll be fine once your iron levels are back up and then it will be all systems go. Just do what you feel like and go for it.

 
At 7:21 pm, Blogger running uphill said...

Watch out for the side effects! Just drink plenty of water.

 
At 12:45 am, Blogger Jodi said...

Hi Ellie!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Are you a vegetarian? I just turned vegan and am wondering how that will affect my iron status. I'm already borderline anemic. I should probably start taking some supplements like you!

Jodi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home