slow-but-enthusiastic

Monday, August 14, 2006

City to Surf

Well what a day!

Kicked off proceedings on Saturday night with a big pasta night kindly organised by everyone's favourite Owl :) Met Tesso and Miners for the first time which was unreal even though I felt like we were all buddies from way back! Also great to catch up with some other cool-buddies :)

I slept like a baby saturday and got up pretty early sunday to get to the start in time etc etc. In the end I was there WAY too early and I could literally have been the front of the HSBC pack - only I didn't want to stand up for that long so I wandered around for a bit. I ended up finding my friend Claire from work and her mate and the plan was that we run together. That didn't end up happening as I couldn't really keep up with them! (they ended up finishing about 3 minutes in front of me and also took a bathroom stop!).

The run itself was pretty ok. I really felt the hills - but didn't ever feel like i was completely flogging myself. i walked through 3 of the drink stations because i am completely incapable of running and drinking! i tried once and inhaled - you get the picture :) the crowd was fantastic - i never get sick of people watching. and it is a real reality check - i am actually not one of the slowest runners in all of sydney!!!

I did have a bit of a panic at 7km when it said my time was 52 miniutes because i felt slow but now that slow!! i managed to rationalise though that it didn't really matter. i think i just had a case of runners brain though because that was the time for the front people and for me it was only 42...

My card time was 93.16 which means an inaugural PB of 83m16s!! my watch said 82.40 - but I am absolutely 100% happy with that time. It was a lot faster than I expected and even my secret target time was only 84 so its all bloody good :)

the hilight of the day though was probably hanging out with my new running buddies all day. on the grass where i managed to get a slightly sunburnt nose, and then at the pub(s) that we visited over the day. it is actually amazing that i am up and conscious because i literally ate nothing except for a piece of lorna's apricot loaf (delicious!!!) and 1/4 of a sausage in a roll (this was a good idea and then my stomach decided that it wasn't too keen...). i might also consumed a few beverages... (but don't tell anyone...)

also - a massive thank you to the lovely cheersquad at the 13km mark! it was a huge lift that i needed and i really picked up my pace for that last km. i am a bit worried by everyone telling me that i look 'comfortable' when i run - i can truly say that there was probably only about 30seconds in the whole run that felt comfortable!!!!

anyways i'm a happy camper today - but v grateful for my rest day :)

e

19 Comments:

At 9:54 am, Blogger the_en4cer said...

Congratulations on a great run and glad you had a great day. Now you can start planning for next year!

 
At 10:02 am, Blogger Gronk said...

A great C2S debut Ellie. You did just great on a pretty hot day !

 
At 11:20 am, Blogger Simlin said...

Awesome Job Ellie, glad you bettered your secret goal!

 
At 12:02 pm, Blogger miners said...

wonderul to finally meet you ellie - thanks for dinner, it was trez nice.

Great run for you yesterday - and how you managed to go all day with that amount of food in your tum is just amazing (that's where I was when I disappeared for an hour - I ate a truckload of food from half a dozen dodgy places)

Hope to catch up again soon :)

 
At 12:12 pm, Blogger Horrie said...

Great run Ellie and one that I knew you were capable of. I hate to see how well you can do when you get a bit more experience and confidence. You are going from strength to strength.

 
At 12:50 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Well done!!! Great effort and congrats on meeting your goal!

Alex was soooo chuffed with you.... you must have the touch she is often unsure of new people :-) Bec was amazed!!

See you tommorow!

 
At 4:37 pm, Blogger allrounder said...

well done on your 1st (of many!) C2S...that's a great time...

 
At 4:40 pm, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Sounds like you had a great day - hopefully I can run it next year!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment - looking forward to meeting you (Blkbox has told me a lot about you and your drinking LOL)

 
At 6:09 pm, Blogger Cirque said...

I'm so glad you had a good time. CRs are such fun to hang around with.

 
At 7:17 pm, Blogger Rachel said...

Congrats on the run! Sounds like a great day and I don't know how you didn't pass out not eating anything! It would have been the first thing I would have wanted after finishing a run like that ;)

 
At 9:39 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Nice work :-)

BTW, it seems all those 9.5 hours session have given you a cast iron stomach. I think I need more training in that regard ;-)

 
At 10:07 pm, Blogger TD said...

Ellie, wonderful to meet you too and aren't CRs a special brood. I thought that was cute was you said about the sun burn because I, too, over dosed on the rays standing there on the grass chatting to people. It was worth it, though. Well done on your fantastic race. I sometimes wonder if we go to these things for the running or the chatting. Probably both.

 
At 10:21 pm, Blogger PortRunr said...

That's great Ellie. Fantastic to hear you had such an enjoyable day :)

 
At 11:36 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Fantastic effort Eliie to do that time. Congratulations!

 
At 3:19 pm, Blogger Spark Driver said...

I'm glad to hear that you had fun. An awesome effort.

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Hey Ellie!!! Congrats on a great run on Sunday. Makes all those early morning Sweat sessions worthwhile doesn't it.

It was fantastic to finally meet you. Funny, I had an idea of what you would be like and I was right - of course it was all good! Though your water drinking on Saturday evening was a surprise. Glad you made up for it on Sunday :-)

Can't wait to catch up again, maybe in September.

 
At 4:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a great time on your first C2S! What a fantastic effort - certainly inspiring for a lot of the lurking beginners on Cool Running.

Good luck with the training for the Sydney Half in September. I think you'll blitz the 2 hours!

 
At 9:59 pm, Blogger R2B said...

Good stuff Ellie!
To beat your own secret goals is even more satisfying!
It was great to meet you and like Tesso had an expectation of what you might be like i thought you were even friendlier than how you come across in blogland :)
Does that make sense?

Cheers R2B

 
At 7:50 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Great story Ellie. I know how far you've come. Well done! 12560th!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home