slow-but-enthusiastic

Thursday, May 04, 2006

fartlek virgin

well today's sweat session was my very first fartlek - ever. it was around the park which combined with a run to and from the park and home and a warm up lap made it a longish session km's wise for me. Lulu's technology indicated that the lap itself was 7km and i did maybe 2 more. that is still a long way for me! and i was proud that i made it, even though i did take the shorter option at the end. let me tell you - the run home was a MAJOR struggle as it is mostly uphill. i walked lots of it. at least i know i tried hard enough.

during the fartlek itself the first surges seemed really long. it is still a revelation to me that i can run hard like that (hard for me - but still slow - blah blah insert my usual embarassment at calling it running hard when for others it is slower than a cool down jog - i'm even getting sick of hearing myself say that!!) and then not completely stop. i can actually kind of recover while i am still running. i reckon that is pretty cool!

anyways it was fun and having lulu there was great as she gave me an idea of someone to (try to) keep up with. she was a lot stronger than me at the end and my last surge didn't involve any noticeable increase in pace.

but allround i'm pretty pleased with todays effort and it makes me proud that i did it when 4 months ago i would have struggled to run that far - let alone with 'surges'.

happy ellie today. sitting at new desk. workless as yet but not too concerned about that. what i am worried about is the type of work they have planned for me. i am primarily a front end construction/infrastructure/utilities kind of girl and i keep hearing the words "project finance" which is freakin me out. time will tell....

:)

8 Comments:

At 9:15 am, Blogger Mandy said...

good job Ellie...I will attempt one of those when they change the name..until then, no way!

 
At 2:46 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Ellie said "hard for me - but still slow - blah blah insert my usual embarassment at calling it running hard when for others it is slower than a cool down jog - i'm even getting sick of hearing myself say that" - then don't say it ;-) All things are relative Ellie - if Craig Mottram turned up he would make the rest of the crowd there look pretty ordinary too - but I bet you a squillion buck he couldn't give a rats that the people around him were slower in fact he wouldn't even think about it.

I found The Great Heartrate experiment a bit embarrassing at first till I realised no one really cared other than me and once I stopped worrying about it, it ceased to be a problem.

Keep up the good work kiddo.

 
At 4:29 pm, Blogger Gronk said...

Well done Ellie. I have no idea what a fartlek is, but well done anyway. ;)

 
At 4:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a nap AND some chocolate is well deserved.

wt

 
At 8:11 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

You did really well today and it was fun running with you.. kept me going!
You should be proud, you've come a long way in the last few months. You should compare yourself to the majority of the population who couldn't run for the bus not those speed merchants who were leading the pack this morning.. disgusting especially that Stephen fellow :)

 
At 10:07 pm, Blogger R2B said...

Woohoo!
You should be proud Ellie!
look again and take a bow for how far you have come and in such a short time!
R2B

 
At 11:37 pm, Blogger Aki said...

The real question is did you feel fast by your own perspective? Nothing I love about running more than making my way into a ferocious headwind as fast as I can go. I go slow when doing it, but the wind makes me feel faster...

Besides, this is a good way to get faster.

 
At 7:36 am, Blogger Katie said...

I am with Lulu... we are comparing oursleves to a skewed population!!! Most people are couch slobs :-) I love Fartlek... you can go as hard or easy as you want, and gets you out of the oval! Although there is that shit of an hill!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home