slow-but-enthusiastic

Thursday, April 27, 2006

yeah...but no.

so since having joined the happy coolrunning blogging family i have felt incredibly encouraged in all of my endeavours to become faster and fitter and able to run longer and enjoy my running more (which i do!). i think that i have improved a lot lately and i feel like something is missing on those days when i wake up and don't do at least some form or exercise. which is fantastic!

but being back home in perth has kind of been a flashback to my old life and consequently my old lifestyle. i have found myself eating too much for one thing(socially mostly and i am on holidays - but still too much!). however, i started off great and was running and exercising still. all good.

until last night - when i went out for dinner with my immediate family. one of my family members is fairly round of girth (too many beers) but has been walking every day which is fantastic and i have been thinking of joining him except that he leaves the house at 10 to 5 - which is not cool on holidays! anyway the conversation somehow gets around to my plans to go for a run the next day. and he starts going on about how slow i run and how he can walk nearly as fast and how i should really go faster or why do i bother. and i was absolutely shattered! it made me really upset - and so i didn't go for a run this morning (i was supposed to do some hills...).

i know that i shouldn't really listen to what he says but it is an incredible reminder of how (mostly) i have moved past all that negativity that has held me back in the past. but it is hard because it is just a reminder of that voice in my head that agrees that i am embarasssingly slow!! anyway i still feel pretty demoralised but am thankful that at least going back to sydney is a psychological boundary from all that crap too.

sigh.

AND - i went to register for the Mothers Day Fun Run which i have been soooo excited about - and the 8km spots are all full. doh!!!!! what a doofus i am to have waited this long - it just never occured to me that it would fill up. can you tell i am not a native sydneysider??? oh well - guess i will register for the 4km instead - but i am kicking myself!!

8 Comments:

At 6:57 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Sounds like he is just trying to put you down to make himself feel good in some way.

Don't let it get you down. Go out tomorrow and show him you don't care what anyone thinks.. you're a runner.

 
At 2:54 am, Blogger Mandy said...

Well Ellie, I'm slower then you and I get paid to teaching a running course, so what does that tell you? Benchmark against yourself and no one else....and I doubt he could walk your pace...the best race walkers in the city can't! You are doing great...and you need to remember that you have support waiting for you when you get back...I ran away from my less then supportive family, and have finally found the "good healthy, encourage a good lifestyle group" with my running club....you are far beyond the Perth Ellie, and you know that...it's just hard to remember sometime.

 
At 11:47 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Yeah pooh pooh to him ! Please don't worry about speed Ellie. Just enjoy your running at your own pace. As your fitness improves so will your times. Cross my heart.

 
At 1:43 pm, Blogger PortRunr said...

I agree with everyone's comments. Don't let him get to you - you're so much better off just for getting out and running, and runners are great at supporting and encouraging each other.

I'm not that fast now, but felt like I was slow for ages before I slowly built up my distances and tried some different training sessions. Once you get some km's in your legs your speed will pick up...in the meantime just enjoy being out there :)

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger 2P said...

To quote a really wise and terrific chick "i have felt incredibly encouraged in all of my endeavours to become faster and fitter and able to run longer and enjoy my running more"

Nuff said!

;-)

 
At 3:42 pm, Blogger speedygeoff said...

We all get that occasionally. The only person to compare yourself with is... you... 12 months ago, for example. Whatever is a fair thing. There are other people who do matter though - those of us inspired to greater things by your story as it unfolds.

 
At 7:45 pm, Blogger Cirque said...

Ellie - there's a really good reason why lots of us spend more time with Coolrunners than with our families :)

If it helps at all, I'm currently running 8 minute k's and I can only just manage 3 of them in one go - with walking breaks.

Keep with it kiddo!

 
At 10:17 pm, Blogger Random Psychologist said...

Hey!

I like you am a slow runner, and you know what...who cares!

I just know the regardless of how slow or how fast or whatever, we are doing things that make us feel good! I know people who run really fast and run laps around me, but at the end of the day, we both feel the same good feelings when we do it!

So stick with it! Hang in there!

You are indeed a runner :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home