slow-but-enthusiastic

Thursday, June 15, 2006

some free therapy for myself

right. so i've been thinking for a long time that it is entirely possible that i have a fear of hills. particularly running up them. and as we always say in TA psychotherapy - they greatest learning comes from understanding and examining your resistances... so this fear of hills is something that i need to understand.

this weekend i have a 'therapy weekend' on with my course. which is where we don't do theory but have a 'guest lecturer/therapist' in (he is from NZ and is one of the most charismatic people i've met in my life!). essentially it is 2 days of him doing pieces of therapy on each of us, and obviously we get the unique opportunity to watch the therapy. just quietly i am really scared about doing some real therapy in front of a group as it is quite an emotional thing and you are frequently very vulnerable.

so maybe i'll take my fear of hills in. which isn't really a fear of hills. its a fear of failure. and its a scenario where i have to really be outside my comfort zone which is interesting as my whole life has been about getting outside my comfort zone. but not in a physical sense so it is a whole new ball game where i am confronted with the certainty that i am not very good at it and where i can't bluff it. so every single time i go for a run or in particular a hill run i am fighting that part of me that says - you're crap at this and you'll always be crap at it so you just shouldn't bother. which is exhausting and is why the "doona monster" (as I have heard it so quaintly put!) is successful on a number of occasions... plus there are a range of self sabotaging strategies that i see in lots of areas of my life and i reckon this could be one of those too.

anyway - so there is my therapy for the week until Saturday morning when it all begins... most likely i will take one of my bazillion other issues in with me - but hills are a darn good back stop :)

(oh - and no - i didn't get up for my sweat hills session this morning...)

3 Comments:

At 7:32 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Oh my goodness!!! Therapy in front of people... talk about exposing your underbelly! We missed you this morning :-)

 
At 7:38 pm, Blogger Spark Driver said...

I agree with Kit. Group theropy sounds kinda scarey.

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Ellie...did you get the answer to fear of failure? If so I'm dying to find out!

But seriously, the weekend sounds like it will be fantastic! Looking forward to getting the low-down next long run we do together ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home