slow-but-enthusiastic

Friday, February 10, 2006

what a welcome!

Wow - I can't say how much I appreciated everyone's comments on my last post. I felt very welcomed - and intrigued particularly about so many people running in my neck of the woods. I am making my way through all your blogs, I could actually read that stuff all day.

In terms of running - I didn't do anything this morning. I had good intentions of getting up at 5am but I had a few little voices fighting the good fight in my head. The one that won was the one that suggested that my knees may not appreciate it after Wednesday run that came off no build up at all. So depending on how many drinks I have tonight I will hopefully go tomorrow.

Which brings me to one conflict that I have had in the past - to run with a hangover or not? instinct says not. But part of me suspects that it would make me feel better. Although I always find when I am very hungover that my heartrate seems higher and I don't know if it is such a good idea. Any thoughts?

I was also going through a few old posts on coolrunning while I wasn't working yesterday (oops) and one was Runners Confessions. Seriously the funniest thing I have ever read in my life. I myself can confess to being a serial perver (not to be confused with a serial pervert). And i totally speed up (from snail to tortoise pace) whenever I see a cute boy. Terrible I know!! And I should really because it just reduces perving time that few extra seconds. Oh well.

This is really starting to sound like a confessional (and will even more in a second) - I was also reading the post on Coolrunning couples and romance, and while it doesn't fit those two categories I did once disco-pash a guy who was a runner and I told him I was trying to start running and we discovered that we both frequented the site from now and then. Of course he turned out to be a bit of a dead loss but it was fun at the time!

OK this is turning seriously un-running related. I am sure that as I actually run more I will develop more focus...

Roll on 6pm...

6 Comments:

At 11:50 am, Blogger R2B said...

Hiya Ellie and welcome!
Always remember to have fun and motivation won't be a problem.
Plenty of good advice to be had from many.

I think your rather brave moving to the other side of the country and a great adventure!

I will keep an eye on your blog.

 
At 1:04 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Forgiven...
Now as pennance...out you go for a run :-)

 
At 1:41 pm, Blogger CJ said...

Welcome to blogland Ellie - its very addictive and compulsive but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm an ex-WA person, having moved from Busselton to Canberra 10 years ago.

Good luck with your running!

I've tried running with a hangover - didn't enjoy the run at all!

 
At 3:17 pm, Blogger RunDave said...

I have read that too much running on the soft sand (not the hard sand) can be very hard on your calves and shins and could lead to compartment syndrome. Also, running on a beach with a steep camber can put uneven stress on your legs. Stay on the hard stuff on a nice flat beach and leave the soft stuff for short speed sessions.

 
At 6:48 pm, Blogger speedygeoff said...

Welcome to the big happy family of running bloggers!

 
At 12:09 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Hi Ellie,

To address your question about running with a hangover, well that depends on a few things: how bad is it? If you're feeling very bad don't go, it won't help. If it's a mild one then it can make you feel a bit better, but the big risk then is dehydration. If you can get enough fluid in and feel well hydrated before you start and re-hydrate when you get back you should feel pretty good at the end of your run. It might be hard work though!

If all else fails my favourite hangover cure is a large coffee, a couple of painkillers and some extra sleep (not forgetting some water too!)

I'm looking forward to meeting you around the park sometime. Have you got any CR gear so we can identify you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home